Too hot?

ReducedLunch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a redfoot that I am fostering through the shelter I work for, who has been staying outside the majority of the time since the overnight lows are about 75. I am concerned for tomorrow though, as the high is supposed to be 100. Half of the yard is sunny, and half is shaded with very dense tree coverage and is noticeably cooler. He cruises around the sunny side until about noon and the retreats to the shade until dinner time. Today I'm going to buy a thermometer so I know exactly how much cooler the shady side is, but at what temperature should I bring him inside? 95 on the shady side? Less? Thanks for the help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
None of my Redfoot stay out of their hides once it hits the high 80s.
They prefer right around 80-82 from my observations. They will sometimes sit in shade, take a dip in a pool or go inside one of their houses untill later in the afternoon, just as you have seen.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Do you have a watering hole for him? Where he can get in and sit and cool off? Or, how about misting system? Retailers sale those "misting snakes" now, for like 9-10 bucks. You just attach it to your water hose and turn on when it gets hot. Shade, water, and air movement (fan) are the only things I would know to use

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you can purchase a $20 digital laser thermometer, it gives a much better reading.
Are you able to a in a simple sprinkler on a hose at the area?
Watering will drop the temp and bump up the humidity

Attachments

• 20151110_163842.jpg
    20151110_163842.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I think 95 on the shady side is too high. I bring mine in once the temp hits 90 because at that point he'll just sit in his water bowl in the shade and not move. He's noticeably relieved and comfortable once I bring him in. It rarely gets to 90 in the shade where I live so I can't really observe much.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
trees are considered Nature's air conditioner. Under a very tall tree it can be up to 30 degrees cooler than it is in the surrounding. It should not get to 90 under the trees unless it's like a hundred and twenty or so elsewhere

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
trees are considered Nature's air conditioner. Under a very tall tree it can be up to 30 degrees cooler than it is in the surrounding. It should not get to 90 under the trees unless it's like a hundred and twenty or so elsewhere
I agree, I think it FEELS a lot hotter than it really is, I've never manually measured temps in the shade so I can't know for sure. On our hot summer days even the shade feels unbearable (or maybe I have a low heat tolerance) when the temps are "only" at about 105 out of the shade. Torts are also smaller and closer to the ground than we are, they'll have a different experience with the temperature.