hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Hi. I have a new Cherry head red foot hatchling and want to know what temperature to keep his enclosure. I have the one side with a UVA, UVB combo and the other side with a heat lamp. Right now it is up to about 95. His half log hidey thing is on the hot side. He mostly never goes on the cooler side which stays at about 78. Is this good? Thank you.
Terry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh..I am sorry I just realized this wasn't the redfoot forum. I posted it there now. I hope that is OK. Sorry

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did anybody ever answer your questions? 95 is a tad on the high side, but not too bad. I like it closer to the 90 myself. He has room to go cooler, which is the important thing.

Do you also have a hide spot for him on his cool side? That way if he wants to hide, he also has a choice of temps to do so at?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you for replying. I did get it right finally. This is Pio.
Scan0005-3.jpg

I took out the UVB lighting, and just have a heat emitter on one side and a long plant light on the other as suggested by the breeder.

Scan0007-2.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Really cute set up. Looks very natural. Does a plant light give off the correct amount of UV that's needed tho?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Jacqui said:
Really cute set up. Looks very natural. Does a plant light give off the correct amount of UV that's needed tho?

I guess it does. There is a Redfoot breeder, that I get all my info from now. His has the most beautiful and smooth shelled torts.that I have ever seen.
Redfoots.com
His caresheets are wonderful, easy to understand, with pictures. He has pictures for just about everything related to Redfoots. Eating, housing etc. Really great and informative site. I wish I bought my Cherry head from him. But even though you don't buy from him, he is always willing to offer info.

Attachments

• Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 34

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Beuatiful little guy and fantastic looking setup:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
He is a beauty and I do love your setup-lucky little tort.
How old is he?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jacqui said:

Redfoot torts get almost all of their Vit D from the animal protein they eat. Their care is quite different than most torts that are common as "pets".

This is an example of an early '06 hatchling raised by the Caresheet Terry mentioned. 10/07 pic..

BIGV-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.