Too dry..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Ok it's a very dry area here, I keep up misting Gams tank about 2 to three time a day and when I check it, it is at a good humidity. But I was brushing the cat and his dandruff was very bad. So I took a look at Gam and all seems fine, but I work for 10 hour a day and my husband works an opposite shift. Talking with him he noticed it drops to a level that's too dry after about 4 hours. we tend to keep up on it. but there is a point of time when our shifts over lap and the trouble arises. is the fluctuation bad or do you think I should get a mister or humidifier for her?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What is the average ambient humidty within the enclosure and within the room that your tortoise is being kept? As long as the ambient humidity within the enclosure remains above 50% most of the time it should be fine, especially with twice a day spraying. 55-65% is more ideal but depending upon the set up it might be difficult to maintain. A humidifier within the room could help but I would hesitate to place a humidifier or mister directly in an enclosure containing Hermann's or other Northern Mediterraneans. Doing so can create conditions too damp for them. The basking light being on will constantly dry the enclosure as it produces heat unless the moisture is constantly renewed. Constant extreme fluctuations in both temperature and humidity are not normal for Hermann's. The exception being a night/day 15-20 degree temperature differential which is normal in their environment.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
The temp stays normal, but the humidity is fluctuating to where I feel uncomfortable so she must as well. Auto mister it is. : ) thanks.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Humidity is much more difficult to control than temperature. Especially in a small heated environment like an indoor tortoise enclosure. What are the daytime, night time and basking temperatures? Humidity is usually a bit easier to maintain at the cooler end of the enclosure just by spraying well twice a day. But overall ambient humidity is always going to be difficult to maintain in an open top enclosure. Much of it also depends upon the ambient humidity and temperature of the room that the tortoise enclosure is located in. It also generally helps if the 1/2 to 2/3 of the enclosure is covered too. But in doing so a temperature increase may also occur so it would need to be adjusted too.
If a mister must be used I would suggest putting it on humidistat or at the very least a timer so that it does not run constantly. Excessive moisture and condensation can have adverse health and development effects as much as being kept too dry can.

Status
Not open for further replies.