Tom- could you please recommend an ideal indoor habitat for a Hermann tortoise? Humidity, temp, etc?

Little Yovu

Location (City and/or State)
Portland Oregon
Hi Tom- My family USA looking to adopt a Hermanns tortoise- but we live in Portland, Oregon= we have to have a great indoor set-up. Could you tell me what this would look like and how we could build this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May I suggest you read the Hermanni care sheet that we have pinned towards the top of our Hermans section?

For indoor enclosures, depending upon the size of the tortoise, I like to use a plastic bin. For small to medium tortoises the Christmas Tree Storage Bin manufactured by Iris works pretty good.

1580829991177.png

But for a full grown Mediterranean species of tortoise you'll probably need something bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom- My family USA looking to adopt a Hermanns tortoise- but we live in Portland, Oregon= we have to have a great indoor set-up. Could you tell me what this would look like and how we could build this?
Hi. I prefer closed chambers for all species. They create and maintain stable conditions for any species, and they are much more energy efficient than open tables. They make it easy to maintain good temperatures and humidity at whatever level is desired.

@Markw84 has started custom making some fantastic enclosures. They have everything you need, he charges way too little for them, and his turn around time is great. You can message him here on the forum.

If Mark is unable to get you what you need for some reason, Reptile Basics has a decent one that they can get to you faulty quickly:https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-cages/2x4-15-cage-ships-flat/

Prior to Mark making his enclosures, I bought a bunch of closed chambers from Animal Plastics:
The quality and customer service is excellent, but they take months to get your cage to you. If you don't mind waiting a long time, then this is a good option too.

Little Yovu

Portland Oregon
May I suggest you read the Hermanni care sheet that we have pinned towards the top of our Hermans section?

For indoor enclosures, depending upon the size of the tortoise, I like to use a plastic bin. For small to medium tortoises the Christmas Tree Storage Bin manufactured by Iris works pretty good.

View attachment 285804

But for a full grown Mediterranean species of tortoise you'll probably need something bigger.