Today marks...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
So if the egg depends on temperature (or lack of) to hatch, shouldn't it hatch sooner in an incubator, which has a constant temp all the time, allowing the egg to continue developing without pause?
You would think yes. Those questions I have no answer too. But a diapause is not necessarily only related to temperature, it can a dry spell, increase in moisture, water. Past diapause is merely something that keeps the egg from developing for a purpose. @Will had mentioned a specific species of turtle that lays it's eggs in water. But during the time when the water recedes the egg begins to develop. Once it hatches the water rises again where the eggs were placed thusly giving it a higher probability of successfully living. If I got that refreshed off memory correctly from a post a while back. I'm not versed enough to simply answer for the questions "why". So my simple answer will be for survival, and the Eco system and environment they naturally come from has to be mimicked.

Let's look at Pyxis(spider tortoises) each of the species and subspecies require a diapause to successfully hatch that diapause needs to be broken. In the wild Madagascar has a very short wet season within certain ranges of the different Pyxis. Naturally the nights will be very cool, and days will be moderately warm. The egg will take up to a year to hatch. Well in captivity breeders will initiate a diapause to incubation cycle. Some incubate for 5 weeks first then cool(diapause) at high50s-60s for 5-8 weeks, then proceed with incubation, sometimes this needs to be done once but sometimes(not many) it needs to be more than once. To break the diapause and get the embryo to develop.
But collectively compared to captivity and wild. The incubation time was +- the same. The diapause in the wild was just broken out into daily temperature fluctuations. Whereas in captivity it was consolidated. Both achieving the same result. So in a way the way we incubate in captivity(mostly) is not the exact way they would be incubated in the wild. But the difference in ecosystems we keep them in (incubator) does not reflect an exact science to the wild incubation. It's just within a certain threshold of temperature ranges that allow the embryo to develop onto a hatchling.

I've taken this entirely off topic galore.
Hope the little guy hatches :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So even if the the egg is kept at the same temperature for 100 days, then it will still the take 'basically' the same time to hatch as in the wild. Is it healthier for the embryo and then later on the hatchling to mimic wild conditions and pauses in development?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So even if the the egg is kept at the same temperature for 100 days, then it will still the take 'basically' the same time to hatch as in the wild. Is it healthier for the embryo and then later on the hatchling to mimic wild conditions and pauses in development?
I think really it doesn't matter from experience. I have no data or knowledge of wild nests temperature and lengths of incubation for any species. So I can't compare it to captive. I do have to say that I "wild" hatch numerous species and see a better result of more active neonates. Of course they're emerged and suck the sac up then dig out of the ground, as suppose to constantly seeing the egg and helping it along. An incubator to me is just a controlled environment that upholds the perfect ranging temperatures for them to hatch. What I meant is the duration of incubation is relatively the same in two different localities of leopards. One just goes through a diapause. If you take the diapause out and calculate the incubation duration they come out about the same for that species. Just found from different locations. If you strictly incubated a South African leopard from the time it was laid it has a probability of not hatching at all and he embryo dying.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
You must be super excited. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
100-110 has been the norm for the ones I've hatched.
She decided to pip on day 115. She may have started this pip last night or very early this morning. I was shocked at how much of the egg she had open/broken at 8 this morning.