Toby's gone crazy!

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi guys, lately Toby has been incredibly active, digging scratching and generally destroying everything he sees, he's also eating his food and not leaving a scrap. Last time I seen him like this was when he was mating with everything and he's started to do that again, anything I can do to help keep him amused and stop him humping his water dish?? :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the time of year they start thinking about brumation. He might just be trying to find a good place to sleep the winter away. Does he have a nice, big habitat? If you move the water away from the wall of the habitat they don't tend to walk through it so much.

macky9326

Scotland
This is the time of year they start thinking about brumation. He might just be trying to find a good place to sleep the winter away. Does he have a nice, big habitat? If you move the water away from the wall of the habitat they don't tend to walk through it so much.

He has a really nice habitat now but he's only four and has never been hibernated by me or his previous keepers, he done this around about April this year and processed to mate with everything, I'm always worried about him in the winter as I wouldn't like to hibernate him for the sole reason that I have a lack of knowledge of the subject (plus I'm a Scaredy because I've only had him since December!!)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
When mine starts doing this I re arrange the furniture so to speak. Change up where the rock pile is, move the log, add new hides, etc... seems to keep her interested. Its funny to watch her walk around and sniff everything like she's never seen it before.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My russian has been thinking about 'bedding down' too, but I don't hibernate, for several reasons! He's been clomping around, but he's starting to slow down. Now, soon, I'll have to wake him up to eat and soak, because he'll sleep under his heat all day, he'll get very quiet and lazy. It's how I like him best. MWAHAHA!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
When mine starts doing this I re arrange the furniture so to speak. Change up where the rock pile is, move the log, add new hides, etc... seems to keep her interested. Its funny to watch her walk around and sniff everything like she's never seen it before.
:p Mine just puts everything back where he wants it! It's impossible to have one thing stay in a spot! :rolleyes:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
When mine go beserk I offer more food. It may be that they have trained me to feed them.