TNT for chucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torterra

5 Year Member
Chucky is doing well.
It took a bit to get him to eat hay, but now he loves it.

As for available foods i have:
Bermuda hay
orchard hay
grape leaves
collards
dandelion
bok choy

I have the TNT supplement.

Can someone give me a mon-sun feeding schedule incorporating all the good stuff? Is it ok to have hay for grazing even on the days he gets the greens?

So yeah, i need to know how often to supplement and i would really be happy if someone gives me a specific schedule. I dont think just giving him the leaf du jour is very good practice :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Chucky is still just a little baby, and he won't eat very much. You're way ahead of the game in that you've turned him onto eating hay. They usually don't go for it until they're two or three years old.

Here's a list of things that you can alternate through:

Clovers (Trifolium spp.) and Clover Hay
Coreopsis
Daisy (English: Bellisperennis; African: Arctotis,
Dimorphotheca, Osteospermum)
Dandelions (Terraxicum officionale)
Endive
Escarole
Gazania
Geraniums
Grape Leaves (Thompson &
Concord, not Grape Ivy!)
Grasses such as: Common Bermuda,
Timothy, Buffalo
Rye, Fescue, Kikuyu, Dallas,
Bluegrass
Hibiscus: flowers, leaves
Hollyhocks (Alcea rosea)
Honeysuckle (Lonicera
periclymemum): flowers
Kale
Mallows (Malva spp.)
Nasturtium (Tropaeolum spp.)
Nettles (Lamium spp.)
Opuntia cactus (Prickly Pear)
Petunias
Rose: flowers
Sedums
Spider Plant (Chlorophytum)
Violet, Pansy (Viola spp.)
Wandering Jew (Tradescantia)
Watercress
Zinnia

I would put down a bed of Spring Mix, then put one or two from the list above on the pile, sprinkling all over with whatever hay he is eating.

I don't use the TNT, but if I'm remembering correctly, every other day would be ok. I doubt it would be harmful to sprinkle a bit over his food every day.

Yvonne

Torterra

5 Year Member
spring mix?

So you suggest leafy greens every day? i thought that's not good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've raised many a baby on a diet of Spring Mix with added weeds and grasses.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Side note-I wouldn't feed bok choy.

As for a feeding schedule, I take variety to mean over time, and not every day or even week. I feed spring mix and 1-2 other things at a time until they go bad (7-10 days). Then buy new stuff. Buying a dozen things a week would be expensive! For you, you could feed as much hays, grasses, and weeds as you can get the tort to eat. Rotate through any other things as you see fit. I think with the grazing torts which eat everything from the same group, you don't need a "weekly feeding schedule" as you may do for a redfoot which eats greens, fruits, and protein. Just feed a good part hay if you can get him to eat that, and whatever else you have decided to buy that week (or if you grow it, then you can add a mix of whatever you choose).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Only if you feed it in excess.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I take a handful of Spring Mix and sprinkle hay over that then add whatever grasses and weeds you have access to. I think you are making this much too hard. I'm guessing from what Yvonne said that Chucky is a baby so then I would feed him twice a day a handful. Leave whatever he doesn't eat and in a few hours or over night it will dry out and he will like to munch on it dried too. I see my small tortoises eating the dried stuff late in the evening well after their evening meal. They would eat a lot of dry stuff in the wild...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Torterra, Maggie and Yvonne have raised some awsome torts and are giving you great advice, as is Kates advice good. Here is a site that lists lots of foods for a sully. http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm When people have one small tort it is more difficult to feed as you do not get greens in bulk as people with many torts do. If you start now to grow even in pots or cat litter pans you can give your tort a great variety with little cost. Hibiscus, grape leaves and mulberry leaves are always great foods to feed as are the many grasses and hays if your tort will eat them. I would keep an eye on his weight to make sure he is gaining in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.