Life Hack: How to get baby sulcatas to eat hay.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I have figured out the best way to get my baby to eat hay and he gobbles it up greedily.
I use a mix of orchard, Bermuda hay, and dried dandelions. I use a food processor to finely chop the hay and I soak the hay in warm water for at least an hour just to soften up the hay and to add moisture. After the hay has soaked long enough I finely chop some cactus pad and a pinch of greens. Mix it all up and serve. Little tiger enjoys his hay salad!
Note: the hay has to be FINELY chopped in order for the babies to eat it. Tiger had trouble with bigger pieces so I had to adjust the size and quantity of the mix. So, have fun trying out the recipe and remember to give the babies a nice soak afterwords!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Woah! This is awesome! I just hand cut mine and soak it. I only use orchard with some occasional dried flowers

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Not sure if you can tell but it is extremely fine. This is the batch I have soaking right now. I used a blender this time and I put warm water with it to help the blender get a grip on the hay. I think I prefer this method over the processor. The blender beats some extra water into the hay before soaking so it cuts the time in half. :)

Attachments

• 1384632597434.jpg
    1384632597434.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 111

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
babys don't eat hay per sey... they like the temder new grass shoots.. so doing what you are doing... is they way to get them eat hay! :)

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
That's a great idea. I'm going to have to try that.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I found that when I get a batch of freshly cut grass, I put it into plastic bags and it lasts a very long time. The advantage is, of course, it's softer and easier to cut than Orchard grass. That's how I got my sullies to get grass/hay early. Otherwise, as most here know, baby sullies won't eat hay.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I had my own mini garden going in my reptile room, but my ferret decided to go snooping around and he decided to dig up everything. So, hay is my alternative for the moment. Tiger loves this recipe and if he is being a little picky I add maybe a pinch extra of greens just to lure him to his food.