Tips on installing CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
We are recreating an indoor enclosure for our young Redfoots. The enclosure will be enclosed completely with air holes right above the substrate, to hold humidity.
Are there any tips that anyone can give, regarding the installation of the ceramic heat emitter for this thpe of enclosure?
Thank you!:tort::tort:

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Definitely use a ceramic/porcelain socket. Do not use the plastic ones as they will melt.

Personally, my CHE are never able to be touched by any of my torts. I therefore do not have to use a guard. I also do not use a dome like you might for a bulb. I go to Home Depot type store and buy my socket for around $1.50, I buy an 8ft extension cord with the wires exposed to connect to the socket, and just for an added measure of safety, I buy a ceramic top to protect the wiring from being exposed, getting wet, etc.

This top is a little funky. It will sit atop the socket and has 5 holes, 4 which I plug with included plugs, and the other is where I run my extension cord through.

I use a hole saw to drill a hole in the piece of plywood that will act as part of the cover and then lay down the socket, and then screw the CHE in on the other side.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Like Mightymizz said, I get a ceramic socket, 8' utility cord, and a ceiling box cover. Total cost is ~$12.

These instructions are helpful to give you an idea of what we're talking about. These are what I used initially to build mine, but I add a ceiling box cover to keep the wire protected from cat shenanigans, etc. :

http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

I also use a thermostat, not a dimmer/rheostat, but either works fine!

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Yes, that link is exactly what I do. I imagine Chris and I are talking about the same type of cover too.

I initially tried the dimmer route, but I killed a couple of CHEs pretty quickly. I was then informed that these devices really need the full wattage to be successful in lasting longer that a few days. Ideally a thermostat is used for my preferences, but I have used a good timer and thermometer to keep a good range of temps. This does take some initial observation, and a keen eye when possible to make sure a particularly hot day doesn't get the enclosure too hot, and vice versa.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Here is my end result. I now use ceiling box covers without the nails. For some reason when I made this one, they didn't have any of those, but I've since switched it out:
2zgt1ky.jpg

The wooden block below keeps the heat away from my plexiglass top.

I should also add, I anchor down these units with plastic pipe holder. This way when I lift the lid they don't slide toward the wire and glass and cats and kids cannot shift them around. You can buy it in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowe's, it comes as metal or plastic. It's just a 1/4 inch ribbon of plastic with holes systematically punched into it...man I wish I knew what it was called and I can't seem to pull up a picture of it on the Lowe's website.

Nor do I have a picture of mine...

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you for the great advice! This is exactly what we needed to know.
Funny... I used to dislike the Home Depot. Now, it is one of my favorite places.
You understand!
Thanks again for the valuable info![/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.