Help with CHE Installation - Wire Dome vs Covered Ceramic Dome

Hello,

I bought a 150W CHE tonight as well as a ceramic based dome. I find the wire ones ugly (since it will show) and the CHE is above my enclosure with a hole in the wood lid to the enclosure.

The CHE will sit about 17 inches above the substrate.

Will this dome work?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388712176.738793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have used CHE’s in ceramic domes including this exact one for many years with no problems. I have heard people claim that CHE’s need wire domes, but as long as you use a ceramic fixture rated for at least the wattage of your CHE, you should be fine.

the_dude_abides

Although Jeff is nuts, he is 100% correct. :) j/k Jeff just having some fun. I am using a CHE in the domed ceramic socket as well and havent had any problems.

Well good.

It's installed. I don't have a thermostat though so I'm keeping an eye on the temp in three different spots to see the effect. My enclosure is about 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and about 20 inches deep... Just installed one for now. I'm hoping that with a properly secured top I can achieve minimal heat loss and keep it at 75-80 through the night.

The enclosure is at 86 now, still climbing a bit, but there are two flood lights still on...

Curious to see what'll happen when I turn those off.