Tips for new box turtle enclosure

Rachael403

Location (City and/or State)
NE, USA
We just moved to a new house this winter and I have to start over from scratch on our outdoor 3 trio ornate pen. We have some really unique challenges with this property, and I was hoping that I could get advice to start planning and getting their enclosure built.

I would like to build a 6ft by 4ft "Pen" for them out of pavers or wood. I will be digging into the ground quite a ways so they have enough room to dig, then putting down an organic dirt from my friends compost pile. Her yard is non treated and it is awesome for the garden plants.

So this all sounds great so far, but then we have the raccoon, possum and hawk/owl issue from an abandoned lot across the alley from us. The old owners heavily treated the yard all the time for "bugs."

I can deal with the wildlife by having a good cover on them, but I of course do not want to kill my turtles with the soil issue going on here. Do you think I need to non treat the property for a year prior to do trying to set them up outside? I can also make a "Box" that is lined and have it above ground if that would be better. I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I was supposed to properly. Also, for three turtles, and the opportunity to eventually add more to our population someday, is 6ft by 4ft too small?

I look forward to hearing your responses.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
yes, the size is too small. Turtles move pretty far each day in the wild. we want to replicate that the best we can. Go as large as you possibly can. Mine is 6x16 ft, we rented a backhoe and we dug down and loosened the dirt, and added a lot of organic soil, peat moss, and mixed it all up well. We dug a hibernaculum which is about 3ft deep by 3 ft high and wide. I refilled it with the mixed dirt, and covered with a den. I added pavers for me to walk on. there is a tub of water for them, as well as a shallow dish of water, there are half logs to hide under and look for bugs and worms. We were worried about predators and we covered the enclosure with 1/2 metal mesh (called hardware cloth). This keeps everything out (except for spiders, sadly.)

turtpenjuly2016_zps77kxhgwa.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
yes, the size is too small. Turtles move pretty far each day in the wild. we want to replicate that the best we can. Go as large as you possibly can. Mine is 6x16 ft, we rented a backhoe and we dug down and loosened the dirt, and added a lot of organic soil, peat moss, and mixed it all up well. We dug a hibernaculum which is about 3ft deep by 3 ft high and wide. I refilled it with the mixed dirt, and covered with a den. I added pavers for me to walk on. there is a tub of water for them, as well as a shallow dish of water, there are half logs to hide under and look for bugs and worms. We were worried about predators and we covered the enclosure with 1/2 metal mesh (called hardware cloth). This keeps everything out (except for spiders, sadly.)

turtpenjuly2016_zps77kxhgwa.jpg
Omg! Colleen! This is GORGEOUS!!!! Could you attach your pics to the "outdoor enclosure ideas" pinned threads somehow? Beautiful!!!

Rachael403

NE, USA
In our old back yard we had a really awesome "garden" area that was HUGE that they were in. I will build out the fence so they have a bigger area. I also wanted to put in a shallow water fall for them, but that will be in the future. It sucks to start over! Is your enclosure up against a house/shed? I unfortunately do not have a way to do this, but i can always create shade. We had a 6 ft fence at the last place and it was not up against the house, so we did pretty good with that. I had an area that I could lock them in at night. I think the hardware cloth will be a good idea.

What do you think about the insecticide issue? If I bring in new dirt will that deter the problem so they dont get sick? I am not sure how long it takes for that stuff to be turtle safe.

Your enclosure is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for posting pictures. I may be asking for more if this rain ever goes away so I can get started. :)

I agree, that should be pinned to show others. Its amazing.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Pearly- i am unsure where the outdoor enclosure thread is located. but i may have already put it in there.

This is the outside of the enclosure. i have 5 dogs, so we had to make sure they could not see the turtles or they would dig until they break in. So wood was a good start on it. i hope you can see the hardware cloth, and we have a window that props open so i can dump the water and bring the hose inside. The human door is closed with a stall door latch and clipped with a carabeener. no one can get into my yard, as it is fenced. If i didn't have a fence around my yard, i would lock the door.

turtpenoutsidescreened_zpspckjpr4t.jpg

Rachael403

NE, USA
That is awesome . I love it! I will take some of your ideas into account. You have very spoiled box turtles! I actually have some hardware cloth, not enough to do something like that. How many do you have?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
We have 3 three-toeds and one gulf coast. We had to get a bunch of Hardware cloth at the hardware store, but we also used some wire to hook it together.