tipping over/trying to "go through" the aquarium glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
1239253_575733749152033_2076174196_o.jpgHe was found this morning tipped on his back. He has done it several times this afternoon.... we are paranoid that he is going to kill himself! Is he seeing out of the glass of the tank and trying to get out? Just flexing his legs and turning himself over??? Do they just love to climb??? He seems to do it most in the corners of the tank then work his way over to where it is straight.... I am afraid to not check frequently... will he learn and grow out of it???

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
He likely wants to get out, the "invisible" barrier confuses them, try wrapping the bottom few inches of the tank in some sort of tape or paper so he cannot see out anymore, this might help stop him. Also he could be bored, im not sure what your enclosure looks like but maybe he wants some more plants in there to keep him occupied.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I used to have my juvenile box turtle in a glass tank with paper taped to the outside. Even with the paper he would do that. He seemed to be trying to getting above the paper to see out. He did not calm down and stop falling on his back until I moved him to a large Rubbermaid. Now he lives in a wooden enclosure since he is bigger. But in my case, the Rubbermaid worked better than the glass tank for that reason.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Round out the corners or put some angled strips so he can't climb up high enough to flip over. He will climb up a little and hit the strip and not be able to get high enough to flip. I used garden stripping and made my corners round and have not had a flip over since. It has been over a week!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
i'd put paper around the base so he cant say out and also take saleama's advice. or take your tort out more often to give it exercise so it wears itself out :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
He goes outside for his sunshine time and seems to love outside. I suspect he sees out and eants out. I put about 6 inches of duct tape on the outside to "block" his view...the rocks alone didnt work...he tipped over three times this evening.... I appreciate the ideas.... :s

Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Once they get that first trip outside they seem to want out more, at least ive noticed that with my reptiles. Eventually he is gonna learn to stop flipping over and will settle down. But its good you are aware that its happening so you check often.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
we put a box for him to hide in the corner he was most flipping over...I think he wore himself out...we got up and checked all night long and the little guy
:p slept...we didnt...but thankfully he did! lol

Haira32

5 Year Member
My little guy would try to climb the rounded corners of a Rubbermaid bin too, I think it has less to do with the glass and more to do with boredom, because he would only do it at 6 in the morning before I would feed him. Like I wasn't fast enough with fresh food. He grew out of it after a few weeks.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
He was tipped over when we got home from work tonight.... I hope this phase passes quickly.... I wm afraid to leave for work! He had a nice long bath and fresh greens...he is sleeping....hope we can tonight! :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Haira32

5 Year Member
When mine tipped at work it was the scariest thing! See if you can rearrange anything to make climbing more difficult.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
sweetie made cardboard "rounded edges around the corners at an angles so he couldn't get upright..... we'll see if that works today!!! thanks for all of the ideas!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Theresa, your enclosure is much too small. A ten gallon leaves almost no room to walk once you put all the furniture in. Sulcatas need a lot of room to walk. They are a very active species. Move him to something much larger, get your temps right, keep it dark at night, but still warm, and he will likely stop flipping himself. Some babies are more prone to this than others, but they are all prone to it in a 10 gallon.

I start my hatchlings in a 4x8' enclosure with a plexiglass front and they never flip themselves. Did you notice he doesn't flip himself outside?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I didn't see where it said it was a 10 gallon. If that is the case, I agree with Tom completely. Not enough space always results in pacing and flipping over.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
my husband was wrong...it is a 20 gallon tank the pet store made us buy before they would let us get the tortie. he was put plaing in his baby pool today...loves the bigness...not interested in climbing anything. we are greatly enlarging tomorrow.....how will i keep humidity up? cover with plexiglass or plastic part way? i dont want to lose humidity. i have been working through ending pyramiding on tf tonight....also...what is that larger light i see over some of the tanks ??? what kind of bulb????

I have to add that I am slightly upset with the reptile place. They assured us that "this will assure that they are humid and warm enough and all you have to do is feed kale, collards, turnip and dandelion." You "had to buy" this 20 gal plus everything to go into it (25 watt bulb, coconut coir, dish wooden lid ect) with no refunds: "If they die it is because you didn't listen to us". Cool....so I paid the $$$ and now to find out it isn't near what this sweet baby needs is very frustrating..... I don't mind paying out all of the $$$ if it makes sure it is the right thing for this sweet little guy.... I am beginning to think a large christmas tree plastic box and a larger light would have been smarter! (I DO feed him the weeds and grasses.... I did know enough a week ago to do - that thanks to this forum!) I am just so glad I accidentally stumbled onto this or I would still think I was doing everything they told me to just right! sigh :0/ thx again...

BriBri

5 Year Member
Hes adorable !!!

Sent from my SM-T310 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Theresa, stories like yours always sadden me, but what can we do?

I'm really glad you found us, and sorry that the store coerced you into such a situation. What would make everyone happy is if you went back and tried to educate them. You might fail, but its the right thing to do anyway. Maybe you will fail, but when their 100th customer walks through the door saying the same thing you said, and refusing to buy from them because of it, they might start to listen. It's got to start somewhere.

And make sure they understand that this isn't just some random info you found on the Internet. This is THE Tortoise Forum. We have more than 23,000 members all over the world! And we have the proof to back up what we say.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I think they are onto the basics...humidity, greens, UV...but I had hopedy tank would at least get me through the winter so I could start building in the spring...oh well...it could be worsr n I wouldnt have found TG!!!! Its all good...whatever the baby needs...I think he looks lile a scooter:p again....thx!

hoped the tank...sorry...fat fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.