Flipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Theres nothing in donatello's tank other than substrate and 2-3 times a day i put his water dish in there but he normally just pushes the substrate into it. Yet he somehow climbs up the walls and flips himself over. Im afraid that if i leave he might flip over. What should i do?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What do you mean there is nothing in his enclosure? Do you not have any type of hide or plants or any decor at all? In that case he is probably bored out of his mind and that's why he is climbing up the walls.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Right now i dont have the money to buy decor and plants

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Well, you still need to give your tortoise something to hide in to feel secure. I'm sure there are plenty of things laying around the house you can makeshift a temporary hide out of. Plastic boxes with a hole in the side, small pot on its side..etc.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Well you need to do something, they like to burrow and feel sheltered. Not to mention they need a humid hide. Use a Tupperware or a planter, get creative. Your tort is probably so bored and scared with no shelter or vegetation/decorations.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
You could google "tortoise table" and look at the pictures of what other people have done to get some ideas. There's bound to be something around the house you can use to make a place for him to hide.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I just realized you said you put his water dish in there a couple times a day. This is not okay. Sulcata hatchlings can die so easily and they need access to food and water 24/7. Especially water! I really hope you got a hide in there so your poor little guy feels safe.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Go the dollar tree or a 99cent store. They sell small clusters of fake plants. But 5..that's $5 and you can make the space look full of plants :) check out pics of my indoor enclosures to see what i mean.

Next, go out into your yard and collect a handful of rocks. Wash them off and put them into the enclosure. Press some into the substrate so the tortoise can walk over them. Maybe one or 2 bigger ones that he will have to walk around.

There ya go! Inexpensive decor fix! :) do it, then share pics!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I own redfoots, but I have used ceramic & plastic pots and pieces of bark as "free" hides in the past. Even a cardboard box could be fashioned as a temporary hide (it won't last long). Spare plastic storage containers are really great for their longevity and ability to maintain a nice humid micro-climate to get smooth growth.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
I have a log, plenty of bedding/substrate(4-6"), a water dish now in there24/7 cleaned and replaced everyday or when dirty, a basking area,and im getting plants and that reptile calcium rich grass soon.

Thanks everyone!!:D

erica anne

5 Year Member
Your tortoise should always have water in his enclosure. I just clean out the dish about three times a day because when mine goes in to soak and drink the substrate around him gets thrown in slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.