Tiny worms!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2reds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello all,
Got a question regarding worms. My young red foot who is healthy, eats great, soaks him/herself and never shows any signs of sickness now has some tiny worms in its stools. Now my question is what to do as far as treatment? Can i self treat and what products work best? Do I treat and then do a thorough cleaning of enclosure? My red foots weight is 255.15 grams.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jarett

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a good idea when treating parasites for the first time, to get the dosage from your vet and have them show you how to administer it. After that, if you ever need to do it again, you can do it yourself. But, because de-wormer is actually poison, it is a good idea to learn from a professional first.

And NEVER EVER use Ivermectin on tortoises. It kills the tortoise.

What I use is Panacur horse de-wormer. You figure out the dosage and draw it up into a needle-less syringe, then hold the tortoise's head behind his jaws, open his mouth and squirt the medication into the mouth far back as you can.

Your vet can tell you the dose based on the percentage of the de-wormer you're using and the weight of the tortoise. Not all Panacur is the same percentage.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I use Panacur as well. For my ONE POUND Russian, I used half a tablespoon every other week.
This isn't exactly the recommended dosage, but the poor guy was thin and very ill. I would suggest talking to some professionals. Perhaps send a email to a herp doc. I contacted Dr. Tom Greek in Yorba Linda.

Jhwells46

My year old Leo was diagnosed with pin worms and prescribed Panacur. She did well with it for the first few doses but had an adverse reaction to it later in her treatment. Apparently, at least according to my vet, they can be born with them and they are symbiotic to a certain degree. Don't quote me on that, as I know a lot of vets aren't up to date on tort health needs, but that's what I was told. Her treatment was discontinued and I was told not to worry because they can aid in digestive tract function as long as they aren't totally packed full of them. Any experts out there agree with that? Or was I misinformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.