Time to separate these torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

5 Year Member
I have a juvenile redfoot and yellowfoot. I was told that they should be fine together. I think that was bad advice after reading up a bit. It seams like the larger redfoot is boss of the resources and good hides; he's about 1" larger and growing faster. Yesterday at feeding time I saw him take two harmless nips on the top of the YF's shell. The YF pulled in a bit. Can the larger RF kill the YF?

I have a friend who wants one, but I'm concerned that he won't give him the care he's accustomed to. I can't give him to a pet store because I don't trust them all that much.

Help! I live in south west MS in the border of LA.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They definitely need separating as soon as possible before your Yellowfoot becomes sick. As you have found out the hard way, pairs of torts do not work together. It's also not recommended to mix species.

You need to sort out a second enclosure as quickly as possible to tide your Yellowfoot over until you can find him a permanent home.

Jackson

5 Year Member
Roger that... I'm just gonna put a brick wall across the outdoor pen. And maybe leave one outside. The weather and humidity has been ideal.

image.jpg He's a good looking tort:

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Yellow foots are typically more timid, so it makes sense that the red foot is the bully... separating them like you said should do the trick and your yellow should take off growing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.