Time it takes to pyramid ?

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
I'm just wondering how long it takes to see pyramiding In 3 month olds? I have been watching a couple Hermanns at a pet store and although they are not getting baths, they are not showing any signs yet.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Totally depends on their growth rate, but I never soak my Hermanns and they are still smooth after more than 3 years.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Totally depends on their growth rate, but I never soak my Hermanns and they are still smooth after more than 3 years.
Did you have them from hatchlings?
Have they been raised inside?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Did you have them from hatchlings?
Have they been raised inside?
Yes I got them as hatchlings and they were mainly raised in a cold frame (with an adjacent outside enclosure from their second year on, but they still spend most of the time in the cold frame). Not sure if you would consider this in- or rather outside.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Yes I got them as hatchlings and they were mainly raised in a cold frame (with an adjacent outside enclosure from their second year on, but they still spend most of the time in the cold frame). Not sure if you would consider this in- or rather outside.

That's very interesting. What has their diet been?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
That's very interesting. What has their diet been?
Mainly weeds, carrots as a treat every now and then and they probably find wild strawberrys and slugs outside.

In my opinion the best way to prevent pyramiding is to raise the ambient temperature instead of putting them under a dessicating heat lamp.
Basking in the open is a rather unnatural behavior for hatchlings. Even on sunny days my torts go outside to graze and explore, but spend most of their time resting in humid hides in the (sometimes very!) hot cold frame. So when I have to heat the cold frame I try to avoid causing hot spots.