Throw up? Please help as soon as possible..

ub3rsh00

Okay so I was just feeding turtle, and he clicked his jaw together (or whatever is is they do when they eat. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.) more often than usual. I was worried to begin with, an then as soon as I set him back In the tank he puked up a piece of kale. Is it possible he puked from just eating too much? Or should I be seriously worried? I don't want him choking or anything while I'm at work later, so I'm already pretty worried. I set him in some warm water in the tub to see if he'd either drink or the warm would help him swallow. I have no idea if that's normal or not so I'm really worried. It's the first time it's ever happened since I've had him.

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
Later on people with more experience will be able to reply, but since you were after a swift response, I'd say that whilst no one ever wants to see vomiting in any animal, and the same is the case with tortoises, just one occasion out of the blue of it happening in itself isn't a cause for too much concern, other than to check to see whether there are any other signs of illness that you'd have probably already noticed anyway like bubbly or runny eyes and noses, etc. If you can't really see much difference and he just looks perky as always it's possible he was just a bit over-exuberant with the eating and so decided to try again with a piece :). Until anything further happens there's not much to do other than what you're doing at the moment, which is the right thing, and that's to watch him closely and ask questions to see what other people think :). In itself though, as an isolated incident, it's not the end of the world (in my opinion), providing it doesn't continue to happen in the future.

(Has he eaten anything since? If you put something down and he lunges at it to nibble away at some more, then he's probably not feeling too bad!)

ub3rsh00

He isn't opening his mouth or anything, like they would with a yawn or RI, and He just now started moving around, a tiny bit, in the tub, but very slowly. I'm assuming it is most likely just from eating too much? Still pretty worried and my anxiety is getting the best of me..

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
ub3rsh00 said:
He isn't opening his mouth or anything, like they would with a yawn or RI, and He just now started moving around, a tiny bit, in the tub, but very slowly. I'm assuming it is most likely just from eating too much? Still pretty worried and my anxiety is getting the best of me..

If he's been in the tub for 20+ minutes he might just be bored :). If his breathing doesn't look labored or in difficultly then you could just try taking him back out and putting some nice and small pieces of food down, to see what he does when he spots them.

ub3rsh00

I'm gonna keep you guys posted after I get home from work in about 5 or so hours, and I'm gonna just dry him off real well before I put him back. -He just peed right as I finished that sentence, very small but still pink urates- . He's one of my best friends and I don't know what i would do if something happened to him, especially since I can't afford a vet right now. Will keep you posted though.

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
From what you've said (and what you haven't said too, as in, no other symptoms or problems), it sounds like not too much of substance has happened that in itself would be cause for concern, and the best thing now is probably to keep him nice and warm and let him do whatever he wants to do. It sounds like he's just getting on with the usual stuff if he's going to the toilet and probably doesn't even realize you're so worried :). Give him a big hug from all of us too! We all know how much our torts mean to us.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry about your tort I hope he's doing better when you get home . But if not I would ask someone about the "pink urates " that you spoke about .

ub3rsh00

Aren't they supposed to be pink? They're usually pink or white depending on what he eats

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Pink urates are common if your tort has been eating a diet of mainly dandelions. A balanced diet is best; variety is the key.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I didn't know Russians could vomit. Does that happen often? :(