Three Toed Box Turtle Feeding Amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sancho

5 Year Member
I have Three Toed Box Turtle and am wondering how much food i should be giving it per day. Its only really interested in live food atm (mealworms etc). But i place those on various greenery as i have seen suggested so the turtle gets a taste for it. I am just wondering how many meal worms a day i should be giving. Currently i am doing 1-2 a day.

Thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
How old is your box turtle? For the hatchlings, I feed once a day..maybe two wax worms and some cut up red wigglers. I start them off with small blood worms and feed in a little bit of water. The older ones get chopped up greens, veggies, and fruit mixed in with some ground venison in the AM and late afternoon I'll give them some worms. If you cut up the greens and veggies really small, and add some cut up strawberries, and then put the worms on top, they might get some variety. Mine all love strawberries.

Sancho

5 Year Member
Its around 18 months old. Im trying to get an idea in terms of a number or portion size

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
You can get some turtle brittle, and soak a few pellets, add a half of chopped up strawberry, and half of dandelion leave. Chop it all up into tiny pieces, and put the worm on top. Put it on a small flat piece of slate or tile, or the cover of a margerine tuib. Eventually he will start eating some of the turtle brittle and greens, and of course the strawberry. At this age they aren't too interested in anything but live food, but it's time to try and introduce some variety into their diet

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Once big meal a day is fine but its always good practice to have some source of food available at all times . I usually give mine their "protein meal" early in the day which consist of moist catfish chow/ wet dog food/raw meat of some sort/ or several earth worms . But mine always have either fruit or vegetables available to snack on.

Skipping a day of feeding on occasion is fine as well. Sometimes I will skip food and allow mine to have a 24hour soak to thoroughly hydrate themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.