Eastern vs. Three toed?

rebakahrose

I'm interested in getting either a Eastern or a Three toed box turtle this summer. I was wondering about the habitats for each, diets, and just basic pros and cons to help me decided which would be best for me. Thanks in advance. :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
They are basically the same in personality and care. I love how beautiful the Easterns are, but the three toeds tend to be more outgoing in general.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Something else to consider is are they legal in your state. In my state I can not own an Eastern box turtle because they are native here.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like the Eastern also. The marking just so beautiful.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Flip a coin. They are both impressive. But I agree 3toeds tend to be more outgoing.
Buuutttt I actually am partial to 3toeds. The amount of variety within the 3todd subspecies for size/color/pattern is pretty mind blowing.
I will also say though that the average eastern is prettier than the average 3toed. Most 3toeds are just brown with very little coloration. But if you look at the most impressive 3toeds next to a really impressive eastern I personally like the 3toeds more.ImageUploadedByTortForum1392610854.928158.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1392610814.362176.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1392610814.362176.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

rebakahrose

I live in Oklahoma. For what I looked up, they are legal to have. That is a beautiful turtle. What kind of things does it eat?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
In my opinion, you can not beat a good Ornate for personality. My trio of young juveniles are a trip! They actually beg for food. They will also ignore the hides and dig under right by where I feed them. They them pop out to be the first to the food bowl.