Three Questions about Substrate

BenAnsell

Can I use multi-purpose compost into I get my top soil and sand?

Do tortoises like grave I was wondering if have a variety would make it more natural for him but have a stony gravely patch?

Any other help of substrate variety would be greatly appreciated.

Also if I'm bring in rock from out doors is do they need to be cleaned properly if so what's the best way to clean them.

Forgot to mention he's a three year old Herman tortoise.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I don't have a Hermann's tortoise, but I think most people like coco coir or cypress mulch. For my boxies I use a combination of coco coir and peat moss. I keep mine damper than you would of course. Gravel I would be afraid of scratching the shell too much. As for rocks, I use them from outdoors if it's from my yard where I do not spray any chemicals. I wash them and then boil them on the stove to disinfect.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Regarding compost, I do not know.

Regarding gravel, only if it large enough that he can not eat it.

Regarding sand, use none or only a slight amount. I like a combo of top soil (plain no additives) and coco coir.

I just rinse them off. But if you want to kill any possible mold, etc., soak for 30 minutes in a mild bleach solution. Then rinse it until you can not smell any bleach. Then dry it in the sun and let it sit overnight should be enough.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'd be wary of using sand and gravel in an enclosure. It can cause impactions if eaten. Not saying it will for sure get eaten and cause problems, but I personally wouldn't risk it. As for compost, you can probably get away with a little mixed in if you know it doesn't have any chemicals in it.

For rocks, you can dump them in a bucket with a solution of bleach and water at a 1:10 ratio. Allow to air dry for 24 hours. If you don't want bleach, use anti-bacterial Dawn instead (These solutions are from what I've read when doing a search and not from personal experience).