Leapord tortoise substrate

lilyM

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,
I live in the UK and have been looking everywhere for orchid bark to buy but am having no luck. So was hoping someone would have a recommendation on shops?
I have found some 'compost bark' and wondered if it would be a safe alternative? I haven't opened it yet so am not sure what it's constituency is but here's the packaging 1000006294.jpg
I thought it might work because it says it has very good moisture retaining but I'm also aware it has no mention of the pesticides etc that could have been used on it .
Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi,
I live in the UK and have been looking everywhere for orchid bark to buy but am having no luck. So was hoping someone would have a recommendation on shops?
I have found some 'compost bark' and wondered if it would be a safe alternative? I haven't opened it yet so am not sure what it's constituency is but here's the packaging View attachment 367949
I thought it might work because it says it has very good moisture retaining but I'm also aware it has no mention of the pesticides etc that could have been used on it .
Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Hello! You can't know for sure what bark was it (spruce, like other Westland products, pine, fir or whatever and has it been treated in its "previous life" with pesticides and so on).

You can check Swell Reptiles for orchid bark (they sell it relatively cheap under their brand).

lilyM

England
Hello! You can't know for sure what bark was it (spruce, like other Westland products, pine, fir or whatever and has it been treated in its "previous life" with pesticides and so on).

You can check Swell Reptiles for orchid bark (they sell it relatively cheap under their brand).
Great thankyou, I'll check that out. And the compost will be going in my garden instead then!