• 3 days a week

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • What? Aren’t they desert animals?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AZRT

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I hear some say every day for the first several months, I hear every other day or 3 times a week for several months and there are the “I never soak my tortoise”

Thoughts?

Melis

Maryland
For hatchlings, the general consensus on here is to soak daily. Did you see otherwise on this forum? Or in general from other resources?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Definitely soak every day for the first few months, until your tort reaches 100 grams or so. Then you can drop it to every other day, and lower it over time. You can never over soak a tortoise, and even soaking an adult daily is beneficial.

AZRT

Arizona
I’m soaking him daily but a few other groups say just a few days a week

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’m soaking him daily but a few other groups say just a few days a week
There really is no other group out in internet land that has the knowledge and correct info like you have on this forum. If you want the correct info stop to this forum. Not every question will have just one answer. However, all the answers you get from the experienced members will be correct, not always from newer members. You also have to apply the correct answer that applies to your species and the area you live.

Salspi

Chicago
The constant stable high humidity and slightly warmer temps in an enclosure for the first couple of years is more important than daily soaks, depending on the tort species. Picking them up daily Could cause a chronic stressful situation. So, lower the stress and increase the time in an adequate temp/humid enclosure.

In addition to this, you need a large surface area water dish where they can soak/drink anytime they feel like it. And, try to get them to use the humid hides. In my opinion, this considerably lowers the stress that your hatchling is going thru. And, is perfect for keeping hatchlings hydrated..Obviously, adults are different.

This is just what I think.... please don’t roast me.

Last edited:

AZRT

Arizona
image.jpg Here he is soaking in the bathtub. Curious do they sleep with eyes closed? When I go him out of the cage his eyes were closed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The constant stable high humidity and slightly warmer temps in an enclosure for the first couple of years is more important than daily soaks, depending on the tort species. Picking them up daily Could cause a chronic stressful situation. So, lower the stress and increase the time in an adequate temp/humid enclosure.

In addition to this, you need a large surface area water dish where they can soak/drink anytime they feel like it. And, try to get them to use the humid hides. In my opinion, this considerably lowers the stress that your hatchling is going thru. And, is perfect for keeping hatchlings hydrated..Obviously, adults are different.

This is just what I think.... please don’t roast me.
I won't roast you, but I will politely and respectfully disagree. I know more than one keeper who gets good results that feels that the daily soaks are more important than the constant high humidity. I also think the daily handling desensitizes them and makes them much less stressed. This is one of the compliments I get from people who buy my babies. They are adaptable and not fearful. They will eat while dangling in the air between thumb and forefinger, and in a moving car. Most tortoises are highly stressed by a moving car. Mine eat while going down a bumpy dirt road. A tortoise that is eating is not a stressed tortoise.

Stress reduction and humidity are good, but I think daily handling and soaking are also very important and beneficial.

Salspi

Chicago
ive Never heard of handling them when young desensitizes them. Obviously, you’ve raised plenty of them to know what works. So, in your experience, handling them young creates a more calm/ stable tortoise over time? Is this the case for more outgoing species like Sulcatas? Or do you think it’s all of them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ive Never heard of handling them when young desensitizes them. Obviously, you’ve raised plenty of them to know what works. So, in your experience, handling them young creates a more calm/ stable tortoise over time? Is this the case for more outgoing species like Sulcatas? Or do you think it’s all of them?
It is true of all the species I have reproduced or started from hatchlings.
Sulcatas
Both types of leopards
Russians
CDTs-rescued hatchlings, not bred by me
Burmese Stars
Pancakes

I can't say this is universal for every species on earth, but from what I've seen and read, I can't think of any exceptions. I begin soaking literally the day they merge from their egg. Leaving them alone might initially cause less stress, but any captive animal will inevitably need to be handled. If they are not used to it, the experience can be extremely stressful, to the point of affecting their health. In contrast, an animal that is handled daily and is desensitized to it, will not be traumatized or overly stressed by the day to day stuff that goes on. A good way to illustrate this point would be to look at the differences between WC animals and CB animals of the same species. Night and day.