Thoughts on adding a new tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Around Daytona Beach, FL
Sorry this is so long!
Anyhow, I've been thinking of adding a new tortoise for awhile. Space isn't much of an issue, we're on 5 acres in Florida so even a large sulcata would be alright.
Most of my pets are adopted from shelters, including a dog and cat that are from a high kill shelter in Kentucky and were transported to me by volunteers. Originally when I decided I wanted a tortoise a few years ago, I had also decided I wanted to adopt one. BUT, I had no luck with the reptile rescues in the area of NY I was in. They didn't list the tortoises they actually had available, but wanted you to have a proper enclosure built for whatever you guessed they may have when you applied. Obviously any responsible keeper would want an enclosure BEFORE bringing the tort home, which is what I stated on my application. And I stated that I would build or buy an enclosure to match whatever species they had available as at the time I didn't have a preference. I explained that obviously an appropriate enclosure for a young russian tortoise would be completely different from the appropriate enclosure for an adult redfoot and that I would be happy to have the enclosure built before picking up a tort once I knew what species and size they had. Unfortunately that just netted a snarky response that if I didn't have an enclosure yet then I wasn't ready for a tortoise.
I tried a couple more months on the local craigslist, local shelter and reptile rescues further away, but overall had no luck.
If I wasn't going to get a rescue, then I definitely wanted captive bred. My species of choice was pretty much decided for me when I came across a local redfoot breeder and picked out my little guy from a pile of other cute little tortoises.
So, now fast-forward a few years and we're looking to add another tortoise. I thought it would be easier here since our shelters are generally overcrowded, but it doesn't seem like tortoises are one of the pets crowding them. We have several sanctuaries for tortoises, but they don't adopt them out. There are a couple herp societies, but they also don't have any tortoises up for adoption at the moment. We do have those herp amnesty days where people can surrender reptiles and exotics they no longer want, but, there have only been a couple tortoises each time which are scooped up apparently right away.
It could be possible I'm missing something here. I posted a wanted ad several times on the two nearest craigslist, but only got responses from scammers.
I'm not the only 'tortoise wanted' ad either.. lol

But, this changes things. If there aren't that many tortoises in rescue and the ones locally are getting snatched up, then maybe I should change my focus. I always felt kind of guilty buying my tort from a breeder instead of rescuing one because I thought there would be plenty of sulcatas out there looking for homes. Maybe there aren't?

So, if you were me, what would you do? Get a couple more redfoots and grow a breeding trio? Get a completely different species altogether? Get a breeding trio?

I did used to enjoy raising show rabbits way back when, and part of me has missed breeding and raising quality animals. But, with rabbits and dogs and cats, there's already so many that it just doesn't seem right to breed them. Though, I'm still happy there are purebred show breeders keeping the diversity out there. I just couldn't do it anymore.

So, thoughts? Work towards a breeding trio of redfoots since I know I like them? OR Part of me is now thinking that hey, I can get any species I want and so now I'm more confused then ever.

How did you decide to start raising torts and how did you pick your species of choice?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd likely go w/ a couple more red-foots, as you now know a good deal about this species, and by breeding them, there'll be less being caught in the wild.

And breeding these fascinating creatures is pretty interesting!

Just my $.02 worth... :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I loved your tale above and read it with great interest. Interesting that you are having so much trouble finding one to adopt. I and many others share your experience, but others say that rescues are over-flowing with some species. Something doesn't add up.

As far as species, if you've got five acres in FL, your possibilities are limitless. Sulcatas are my favorite species and you've certainly got the room and climate to house them, but breeding sulcatas has become very controversial lately. Some people feel that there are already too many and too many people breeding them, but others like you and me can't find them.

Given your preference for trying to always do the right thing, maybe you could set up a really big pen and keep male sulcatas only. They say more males need homes than females. Usually, if you have several males and no females present, in a large enclosure they will all get along, though not always. On the other hand I also agree with Terry about the redfoots. You already know the species and how to care for them plus it would be great to captive breed them since they are one of the few still being wild caught. I don't think they will start catching wild sulcatas again if you don't start breeding them, but it would be nice to have so many captive bred redfoots that no more were NEEDED from the wild.

I love Leopards too, but I have heard of a few people having trouble with them in Florida's humidity. Others have no problem at all. I don't know the reason why most do great while a few battle with respiratory problems.

Good luck choosing.

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Around Daytona Beach, FL
Tom said:
I loved your tale above and read it with great interest. Interesting that you are having so much trouble finding one to adopt. I and many others share your experience, but others say that rescues are over-flowing with some species. Something doesn't add up.

As far as species, if you've got five acres in FL, your possibilities are limitless. Sulcatas are my favorite species and you've certainly got the room and climate to house them, but breeding sulcatas has become very controversial lately. Some people feel that there are already too many and too many people breeding them, but others like you and me can't find them.

Given your preference for trying to always do the right thing, maybe you could set up a really big pen and keep male sulcatas only. They say more males need homes than females. Usually, if you have several males and no females present, in a large enclosure they will all get along, though not always. On the other hand I also agree with Terry about the redfoots. You already know the species and how to care for them plus it would be great to captive breed them since they are one of the few still being wild caught. I don't think they will start catching wild sulcatas again if you don't start breeding them, but it would be nice to have so many captive bred redfoots that no more were NEEDED from the wild.

I love Leopards too, but I have heard of a few people having trouble with them in Florida's humidity. Others have no problem at all. I don't know the reason why most do great while a few battle with respiratory problems.

Good luck choosing.

I was almost leaning toward Leopard, good that you brought up the humidity aspect. I may have to do more reading on them. I like that they are big, but not quite to the extent of a sulcata.

I probably wouldn't choose to breed sulcatas, but I'm not opposed to people breeding them because there is still demand. My only reason for NOT breeding them is really the size of them and how it really rather limits who can actually keep them. While a redfoot, on the other hand, CAN be housed comfortably indoors during winter further north if you don't mind giving up the space. I guess I've just dealt with enough frustration explaining to people which pets aren't a good choice for their situation. Like, it you have small children, then the food guarding collie mix on a limited allergen diet is a bad choice (of course, there is always the ultra-dedicated exception). At least with the smaller torts, anyone can take decent care of them if they choose to.
If that makes any sense.. lol

I think what I'll do is just wait and see if I come across a sulcata needing a home. I'll check out a few rescues that are on my route to Michigan because we're planning a trip up there. I may apply to a few northern rescues, otherwise I'm going to let it go and just see if I come across one by chance. I tried emailing the mid michigan reptile rescue, but, it doesn't look like they've updated either their site or their Petfinder listings. Which is a shame because they have a lot of species listed and they actually allow out of state adoptions.
I'm thinking I'll start looking for a couple more redfoots of about the same size as mine to try to put together a breeding trio. I didn't realize they were still being imported as wild caught. That is probably enough motivation right there for breeding them.
How are russians and greeks in this climate? Is it a bit too warm and humid in FL for them?
It seems odd to me that so many russian torts are still imported too. You would think that being a small, popular little tortoise that there would be plenty of captive bred ones by now.

So, that's two votes for more redfoots and I tend to agree.. Ah well, I'll still watch for a sulcata in need of help, but, for the moment I think I'll stick with actively acquiring a couple more redfoots.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.