Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
exoticsdr said:
Wow! What a can of worms!!!

So many view points, so many life experiences, choices...none totally right and none totally wrong when comparing each to the other.

Euthanasia has a special meaning to me, being a veterinarian and having taken care of my mother during the last year of her life while she battled cancer. I truly feel that it is one of the most important services that I provide. That said, I DO NOT perform convenience euthanasia because a client is tired of a pet or if a pet can still have a good quality of life given the correct medications and care.

As for human euthanasia, who is to regulate it? the government? the family members of a loving, dedicated family? the family members of a totally dysfunctional family? the person being euthanized? I don't have an answer and will not give my feelings on the subject.....though I will tell you, I cried when I found my mothers "suicide" pack....a ziplock bag of her out of date meds that she had saved for several years of fighting cancer, unfortunately most were drugs that would have made her pee over the moon rather than stop her heart...God Bless her. I actually became a veterinarian because of her. Her last words to me the night she died were, "Get you *** to school, you are supposed to be a veterinarian".....Thanks Mom.

Wow! That's beautiful.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I think humane euthanasia on any living thing should be allowed. As the owners of our pets we have the right to make that choice. I believe that we should have the right to make that choice for ourselves as well. The choice can be made legal for humans IF we are smart about it. I think if you have a will drawn up and say exactly what your wishes would be and have a witness of a doctor and lawyer then in the event your family needs to make that decision a judge can consult with your doctor and ensure that your wishes are carried out. Doesn't a human doctor have an oath to end suffering like a vet does? Only in the event that nothing else can be done? I would put it in my will if it was allowed. I wouldn't want my family to see me suffer and decline over time and have that be their final memory of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.