This is plantain right?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I found a new spot to harvest plantain but it seems a little different that the other broad leaf plantain I'm used to finding in Louisiana. Its slightly fuzzy with narrow leaves. Is this a different variety of plantain or a lookalike? I need you green thumb experts!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426306040.120216.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426306049.343048.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426306058.023283.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426306073.799649.jpg

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The leaves are different than what I've seen but the seed heads are plantain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The serrations on the leaves make me think its not plantain, although the ribs, stems and seed heads sure look like plantain.

I would want a positive ID before offering this as food. Have you tried taking a sample to a local gardening center, you know, with all your free time... :D

I've been seeing that one everywhere over here in Covington too. I'll run it through Garden Compass and see what they say. I've been giving the Garden Compass app a workout since I've been here in LA. Want me to tell you all about purple vetch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look up Plantago coronopus and Plantago asiatica.

I think you might have asiatica there.

I grow lots of the broadleaf and narrow leaf types, but I don't know these other ones.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Look up Plantago coronopus and Plantago asiatica.

I think you might have asiatica there.

I grow lots of the broadleaf and narrow leaf types, but I don't know these other ones.

I harvest the broadleaf plantain fairly often down here but it doesn't appear as fuzzy. Now the Seed heads are identical in structure so I think it must be plantain but perhaps the different terrain creates a different look? Or perhaps you are right in that it's a plantain from Asia.

Now it smells and tears just like the other plantain and the tortoises did eat it with seemingly no issue. I will hold off on trying it any further until you report back to me with what the gardencompass app says .

What is purple vetch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is purple vetch?

It is one of the many common weeds that were growing at one of my film locations the other day. It was back across the causeway near Metarie. I'll show you the pic tomorrow.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It is one of the many common weeds that were growing at one of my film locations the other day. It was back across the causeway near Metarie. I'll show you the pic tomorrow.
Is it nutritious for tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it nutritious for tortoises?

I think I have seen it on edible lists, but it is not one I am familiar with at all. I could be mistaking it for something else.

Anyone have a link to one of those edible plant sites?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
New photo that shows it in the ground. It's popping up all over now. It sure looks a lot like a variety of plantain. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426699002.034451.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
got it..........its Plantago virginica........... 95% certain

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I saw a pic of something very similar a couple days ago while I was attempting to ID some weeds, it was listed as Hoary Plantain.