This gives a new perspective to teachers salaries (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....

That's $585 X 180= $105,300

per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special

education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an

hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's

something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary

(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days

= $277.77/per day/30

students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Make a teacher smile; repost this to show appreciation for all educators.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Amen sister ;)
My teacher friends have been forwarding this to me for days now.

...although the teachers at the high school I attended make around ~93,000 :p

I also love this, even though it's a little corny ;)
*What do teachers make?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, "What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers, "Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach."

To emphasize his point he said to another guest; "You’re a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?" Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?" She paused for a second, then began.

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor."

"I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can"t make them sit for five minutes without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental." She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table, and continued, "You want to know what I make?"

"I make kids wonder."

"I make them question."

"I make them apologize and mean it."

"I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions."

"I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn’t everything."

"I make them read, read, read."

"I make them show all their work in math. They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator."

"I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity."

"I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe."

"I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, one nation under God, because we live in the United States of America."

"I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life."

Pausing one last time, Bonnie continued, "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn’t everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant. You want to know what I make?"

"I make a difference."

"What do you make, Mr. CEO?"

His jaw dropped, and he was silent.*

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thank you!!!! Keep it going everyone - teacher everywhere need support!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Interesting. I was aiming for the education field (math), however was drafted into law enforcement. I follow the FRS issues and all teachers, police, fire, ems, and county & state employees have real issues coming up. I have several relatives in the education fields, teachers do need support.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I am sorry to say they are not making a very good case for themselves holding signs that call the Governor Hitler and placing a bullseye over his picture. Not to mention calling in sick and then getting faked doctors notes, to lie about protesting. I guess honesty would be too much to ask for these "noble" people.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nice post Candy. In my hubby's family that lives in the USA, there are a couple of teachers and once, one of them was telling us how their salary was not what people thought it was. They really need support.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Cfr200 said:
I am sorry to say they are not making a very good case for themselves holding signs that call the Governor Hitler and placing a bullseye over his picture. Not to mention calling in sick and then getting faked doctors notes, to lie about protesting. I guess honesty would be too much to ask for these "noble" people.

Yes, because all teachers do that :p

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I did not say all teachers,that is the problem ones that do give the others less creditability. It only takes a few to change how the general public views the group as a whole. It is the same as how we look at politician as a whole most people think they are crooks and should not be in power. Unless of course yours did something good for you and then you look at him/her as good, all the rest are bad.
I am actually studying to be a teacher and have one semester left to go. It is a pretty hot topic around school.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Katie I love that and now am going to have to copy and paste it to my Facebook and email it out to everyone.

We have to learn not to lump individuals together and have an open mind as to what they are trying to accomplish be it good or bad. Sometimes it's better to try to see where they are coming from then to put them down for trying to make change happen. I live in California so the protests are not here so I will hold back any comment since I'm not aware of all of the circumstances, but I have complete faith that things will work out for the best for everyone. It's a very hard situation.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I do live in Wisconsin where all the protesting is going on and one thing that seems to be overlooked is that the bill that the Governor has introduced isn't just aimed at the teachers, but at all public service union employees. The teachers are getting more air time because with them out protesting some schools have been closed here and there. I am all for them out protesting including the state senate democrats who have left the state so that don't have to vote on this new bill. The workers can't just roll over and let this go through. Many people fought for years and years to get the rights that they now have. They shouldn't be taken away from the overnight because some politician has it in for unions.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I love this! My wife is a high school teacher, she showed this to me the other day.

-Matt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd like to see teachers get paid a heck of a lot more and the unnecessary bureaucrats get fired.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Here in CA I would endorse teachers getting paid more, if we abolish the LAUSD otherwise no comment.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Candy, you forgot to factor in the hours teachers spend grading and preparing for the assignments and other admin time. There are some family members, friends of the family and my clients - all respectable teachers not making what they deserve, except for one guy who made 6 figures b/c he was good at taking tests. He teaches and prepares other teachers to take tests to get more credentials and into better paying position or something. I think lately with LAUSD budget cuts he had to downsize his estate. I thought it was criminal some of these LAUSD staff made so much more than others who are actually in the trenches with tough kids. Many wonderful Long Beach Unified teachers got let go this past year; decisions were made based on seniority not necessarily by how good they were. In College level, many professors are now hired on contract/PT basis and it's very difficult to get benefits. Good education cost money, or else we will end up with a bunch of frustrated baby sitters. It's similar to social services field--society is riding on the shoulders of those who give and give and give until one day they say no more freebies. If you look at the average salary of post-master teacher and post-bachelor (or not even BS) Engineer, you'll see the discrepancy. Let the teachers (and those in helping profession) get paid what they deserve; after all those profession cannot be replaced by androids.

Status
Not open for further replies.