Thinking of making a new enclosure

BobbyJ

hi guys ., I'm thinking of getting a 75 gallon fishtank for tito ( the redfoot tortoise ) .. I have heard that tanks aren't the best , but I think it is my best option .. I'll probably add a small fishtank fan to it to keep the air circulating , I'm going to keep multiple live plants as well .. I was wondering if redfoots can be kept together or if keeping just one is the best way . Keep in mind that the 75 will be temporary for about a year while i build a different larger enclosure

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I said this in your last post as well, but it's better to keep one, especially if you're going to keep it in a fishtank. Pairs can be an issue mostly when they come of age. The male can pester the female to death (tortoises are very much affected by stress), there could be bullying and they get pretty violent with territorial issues. In a small enclosure it would basically be encouraged, because they can never get away from each other. If you end up getting more, they do better in herds with a high female, low male ratio. You would also need a lot more space for this as well. Tanks are pretty expensive, it might not be worth it for one year, but it's up to you ultimately.

I've also never seen anyone with a vent for circulation, it's perfectly okay to just have a closed chamber with no fan in order to keep the humidity up. If anyone has an enclosure for a Red Foot with a fan and has had success with humidity/heat, please chime in.

BobbyJ

I said this in your last post as well, but it's better to keep one, especially if you're going to keep it in a fishtank. Pairs can be an issue mostly when they come of age. The male can pester the female to death (tortoises are very much affected by stress), there could be bullying and they get pretty violent with territorial issues. In a small enclosure it would basically be encouraged, because they can never get away from each other. If you end up getting more, they do better in herds with a high female, low male ratio. You would also need a lot more space for this as well. Tanks are pretty expensive, it might not be worth it for one year, but it's up to you ultimately.

I've also never seen anyone with a vent for circulation, it's perfectly okay to just have a closed chamber with no fan in order to keep the humidity up. If anyone has an enclosure for a Red Foot with a fan and has had success with humidity/heat, please chime in.
Well the reason I would buy the tank would be that it's only 75 dollars , so it's not to bad of an idea .. And I though that the fan would be neccesary to keep ventilation but thanks for the heads up ..

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
There was a thread it recently about somebody who made a very nice indoor enclosure. They got the large plastic tubs from a website gototubs. There were some very nice ones there. They are expensive but they come big enough to be a permanent indoor enclosure for your tortoise. Then you wouldn't have to upgrade in a year or two. A 75 gallon aquarium is heavy and expensive. The whole idea was a tortoise closure is to have the maximum amount of floor space. And as far as I know read foots need a good deal of humidity. So these large plastic tubs could work great. You may still need to cover them in someway to keep the humidity in but the tubs with higher sides would make that easier. I wish I would've known about these tubs, I would have use them for my indoor Russian enclosure. But I have to much money into the ones I have now. Check out the thread and check out the website.