Best Plants For Redfoot Enclosure

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
What are the best/safest/heartiest plants for a Redfoot enclosure?

I am in Michigan, and substrate is Zilla Junglemix, coconut coir and a base layer of topsoil.

Temps are 75-85 F and humidity is around 75%. Lights are on a 14/10 cycle (on-off)

Thanks!!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Trick question: no plant is hardy enough to last in a redfoot enclosure ;)

Easiest (tolerates neglect with grace): Spider Plant, Wandering Jew, Wax Begonia, Pothos, Pachira Aquatica, Christmas Cactus.

Tough (with same care provided to all plants, still died or struggled for me): Prayer plant, Bird's nest fern, Lipstick Vine.

A huge reason could be that the plants were placed over heat cables. I lost a Norfolk pine because of that. I now have one in a good spot that won't stop growing.

Other plants: Dragon dracaena, nepenthes, snapdragons, mimulus, nemesia, testudo mix, bromeliad, opuntia cactus, jade plant, aloe, rose of sharon, broadleaf plantain, evening primrose, lettuce mix..

I know I'm missing more. Thus is just my experience and a starting point.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Woooaaaahhhh Thanks a lot.

Yes, true if the RF cannot eat the plant they will surely trample it to death.

Going to the local garden center to see what they have.

What about basil, oregano, or any other little potted herbs? safe for Torts?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
There are some on the list that are very beneficial, others are what I might consider “risks”. Reptiles are pretty keen on what to what and what not to eat, if not starving. Although I like the comment “no plant is safe in a RF environment”

(Philodendron selections): No other group of plants is as widely used indoors as Philodendrons, but they are poisonous to humans and pets. Eating them can cause burning and swelling of lips, tongue, and throat; vomiting; and diarrhea. (Epipremnum aureum): A close relative of philodendron, Pothos is just as easy to grow, but unfortunately causes the same symptoms of philodendron if ingested. (Dieffenbachia) This popular houseplant grows in low-light conditions…. And has earned one of its common names, dumb cane, because of the symptoms that occur when it's eaten. The sap causes the tongue to burn and swell, enough to block off air to the throat. It can be fatal to both humans and pets if ingested in large amounts

Outdoor set ups and some no – no’s ……

(Nerium oleander): All parts of oleander, a popular indoor flowering shrub, are extremely poisonous. Wear gloves and wash your hands when pruning and taking cuttings to be sure you don't accidentally ingest the sap. It can be fatal if eaten….and one I see in tropical set-ups (and who would think?) is

(Cycas revoluta): One of the oldest living plants on earth, sago palm may have survived so long because animals don't eat it. All parts of the plants, including the seeds and roots, are poisonous. Ingesting sago palm causes vomiting and diarrhea, and may lead to liver failure.
Try some mosses, and other grasses. Indoor set ups and plant growing is a whole nother' hobby~;)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Woooaaaahhhh Thanks a lot.

Yes, true if the RF cannot eat the plant they will surely trample it to death.

Going to the local garden center to see what they have.

What about basil, oregano, or any other little potted herbs? safe for Torts?

You can try herbs but usually the smell is too overpowering for them. I used to buy whole watercress at Wegman's and directly plant it in the enclosure but it would get eaten down too quickly and I'd have a big bare patch that'd bug me.