Thinking of adding running water?

JsTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Now I have many ideas and this one may never happen because I'm a big dreamer but In my tortoise enclosure I'm tempted to add a water pump into her water and possibly at some point add rocks like a mini waterfall. Does anyone know if tortoises like running water and what kinds of glue might be safe near tortoise water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise and how big? Most would like the water for drinking and it would help to add some humidity.
Just have to be careful that it's not too deep to drown in either upright or tipped over.

JsTortoise

Virginia
What kind of tortoise and how big? Most would like the water for drinking and it would help to add some humidity.
Just have to be careful that it's not too deep to drown in either upright or tipped over.
She is a Russian tortoise. She is I think close to full size. I haven't measured her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience with Russians that they're not all that interested in water. I think a water feature would be more for you than for the tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Great care and daily cleaning would be required.
These things quickly become circulating bacteria fountains. And are harder to clean when you add rocks or other areas for things to settle and grow

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's about 40 inches long and 30 inches wide. (hopefully, that's big enough in general.)
No it's not at all big enough. It needs to be minimum of a 4x8 foot. You need to do much better for the tort than that. Forget the water feature and build a suitable proper enclosure.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It's about 40 inches long and 30 inches wide. (hopefully, that's big enough in general.)

Unfortunately so many people are led to believe that kind of space is big enough for a Tortoise and sadly it is not. Don’t feel badly our society reinforces it all the time with people on YouTube, the way it’s taught in science classrooms, and marketing from People who sell tortoise houses, but that is nowhere near enough space for a tortoise.

please start here, it’s dense but worthwhile reading…

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You can get an old bookcase from Goodwill or something turn it on its side and remove the shelves and line it and then you don’t have to spend a lot of money at all. But I will say my Russian has absolutely no interest in water either.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, well, then I should probably invest my money in a better enclosure.
Good move. You can get pop up green houses cheap, 50 and under. There are also raised garden beds that will work for not a lot of money.
Look for ones like these in the size that will work.
Screenshot_20230813-213939.pngScreenshot_20230813-213919.pngScreenshot_20230813-214017.png