Thick snot?

Fuugottie

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
My 8 month old leopard tortoise has thick snot coming from his one nostril he almost blows it out! It’s only in the morning time any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy squirt bottles of sterile saline solution from the contact lens department at the pharmacy. Give the nostril a couple GOOD squirts to clear out the nose. Don't worry about the moisture getting into the lungs because the other end of the nares ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.

Is his appetite good? What is the overall temperature of his enclosure? Does the enclosure have a cover on it? What light are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 8 month old leopard tortoise has thick snot coming from his one nostril he almost blows it out! It’s only in the morning time any advice?
Probably means your temperatures are too cold, usually at night. What is the overnight low? How are you heating him at night? Open top or closed chamber?

Fuugottie

Ontario
You can buy squirt bottles of sterile saline solution from the contact lens department at the pharmacy. Give the nostril a couple GOOD squirts to clear out the nose. Don't worry about the moisture getting into the lungs because the other end of the nares ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.

Is his appetite good? What is the overall temperature of his enclosure? Does the enclosure have a cover on it? What light are you using?
His appetite is great! He eats twice a day and is very active I have a wifi camera on his enclosure so I can make sure he doesn’t flip when I’m at work and I get notifications all the time when he’s moving around which is quite a bit! His temps are 85-90 ambient and basking is around 110 his humidity is 80-85 it’s an enclosed chamber so it hold all the heat I have a night time heat emitter a basking bulb and a tube uv light which r on timers!

Fuugottie

Ontario
Probably means your temperatures are too cold, usually at night. What is the overnight low? How are you heating him at night? Open top or closed chamber?
His appetite is great! He eats twice a day and is very active I have a wifi camera on his enclosure so I can make sure he doesn’t flip when I’m at work and I get notifications all the time when he’s moving around which is quite a bit! His temps are 85-90 ambient and basking is around 110 his humidity is 80-85 it’s an enclosed chamber so it hold all the heat I have a night time heat emitter a basking bulb and a tube uv light which r on timers!
@Tom

Fuugottie

Ontario
Ambient is 85-90 over night? In the coldest corner of the enclosure farthest from the heat sources?
Over night it would drop to around 80-85 never below 80 tho I check it every morning before the lights come on

Fuugottie

Ontario

This saline spray is safe for them?