They climb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
So apparently NomNom climbed up her Lil den today and got down ok. I wasn't home for this, I heard the news when I came home. Is it safe for her to be climbing? I can't imagine her acting like a Lil monkey!

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Sometimes when I let my tortoise walk around she stubbornly climbs over shoes, pillows and whatnot. Just so long as your tort doesn't flip when nobody's home it's just good exercise! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes they do climb! :D This is a picture of a hingeback up in a small bush. He ducked into his shell, when he saw me coming with the camera. :D

125-1.jpg

In the wild they have to be able to climb to get over things they may come across that are in their way, such as a tree branch. Some of them are very good at climbing, even up what appear to be straight walls in their enclosures. They normally are smart enough to use corners and other objects as "steps" or aides in their climb. :cool: Russians are especially well known for this trait.

abclements

5 Year Member
Same, I find my Cherry Head up in some fake plants every once in a while. I was even smart enough to get a picture one time! :) Climbing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
They do climb! Its eerie to watch. Remind me again, what kind of tortoise is Nomnom? Is it the little leopard in your avatar pic?

My most talented and persistent climber is my adult RT, Indy. He climbed right out of every enclsoure I made for him, regardless of wall height. He'd scale the corners like a little monkey. I finally had to get a lid for his pen.

It is dangerous for them to climb, especially if they climb to a good height. There's a falling hazard and a flipping hazard. Flipping is not such a big deal for most adults because most can flip themselves right over, but I'd be concerned about hatchlings. I lost a hatchling several years back who tried to climb over a plant and flipped in a basking spot. I would discourage the little ones from climbing until they're hefty enough to flip themselves back over easily.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
3 of my 4 Russians climb, and my little Greek is half monkey. He goes out of his way to get to things to climb. He is GOOD at it, too. He'll get on top of his hide house, up the corners of anything not slick... half monkey, like I said.
I just make sure there isn't anything interesting to climb near the heat lamps, so they don't climb and flip, stuck under the lamps. So far I've only found anyone flipped over twice, and one of those times was when the Greek was still getting used to his new enclosure and running and climbing maniacally.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep, thats how so many escape!
somewhere there is a video of a russian climbing a screen i think.. and Yvonne has pics of her large torts climbing a fence!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Rosie used to climb out of her plastic tub enclosure and I'd find her wandering the floor. She'd climb up the edge and tuck and jump the 2.5 feet. She did that twice before her enclosure was done and thankfully never got hurt. She's now in a 2-4 foot tall fully enclosed enclosure and has yet to even try climbing out. She does climb through her plants and over rocks, but not the walls any more.

southern_red

5 Year Member
I've found that giving them things to climb on keeps boredom at bay in their environment. Especially if you have a younger tortoise who is more mobile. However be extremely careful. We lost our first tortoise in an unfortunate accident because he climbed through a fence we didn't think he could fit through, so take many precautionary measures if they're anywhere near an exit that could harm them.

southern_red

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Rosie used to climb out of her plastic tub enclosure and I'd find her wandering the floor. She'd climb up the edge and tuck and jump the 2.5 feet. She did that twice before her enclosure was done and thankfully never got hurt. She's now in a 2-4 foot tall fully enclosed enclosure and has yet to even try climbing out. She does climb through her plants and over rocks, but not the walls any more.

I love that you have a red foot named Rosie too! ^___^

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Ptolemy and Apollonia often climb to the top of their "cave", but Jennifer and Ophelia seem considerably less interested.

587b13b5-f8cb-40d5-85e8-c8b422c183df

Apollonia climbing up...

94f81e8c-9197-41ca-b62b-634c073adf07

Ptolemy surveying his kingdom

MrTsPetunia

5 Year Member
Mr T (Russian) climbed a 5 foot chain link fence once. I caught him about 4 feet up just hanging there looking at me like WHAT?? I blocked his corners and a week later he was on top of a 3' x 5' succulent in the middle of his enclosure. And he is my digger!!! Don't let Petunia the climber prove to you that torts can climb!! She may climb up to look you in the eye while she proves you wrong!

Krisowen

5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
My desert tortoise loves to climb. Why go around when you can go over? LOL

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Siren Nora said:
So apparently NomNom climbed up her Lil den today and got down ok. I wasn't home for this, I heard the news when I came home. Is it safe for her to be climbing? I can't imagine her acting like a Lil monkey!

Check out this little climbing bad boy:

"The amazing adventures of Mork from Ork!"

Jacqui said:
Yes they do climb! :D This is a picture of a hingeback up in a small bush. He ducked into his shell, when he saw me coming with the camera. :D

In the wild they have to be able to climb to get over things they may come across that are in their way, such as a tree branch. Some of them are very good at climbing, even up what appear to be straight walls in their enclosures. They normally are smart enough to use corners and other objects as "steps" or aides in their climb. :cool: Russians are especially well known for this trait.

That's fascinating! :cool:

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
My tortoise started climbing his half log a while ago. I thought it was fine since he was always able to get down fine. Then for a few days every time I woke in the morning he was on his back. The third time it happened he was like yelling out. I am so glad I caught him all those time on time before something bad happened. If I were you I would make it taller or do something so she couldn't climb up. You me never know and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.