Thermostat

Daveypryme

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Good evening everyone,
I've been looking for a thermostat online and all the thermostats I'm coming across don't seem to be what I need or have the wrong plug in type. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good brand and where I could buy it? Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I get my thermostats from lllreptile, I think. I get a lot of stuff from tortoise supply as well.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you're just controlling heat in the enclosure, the one above looks like a good choice. However, It you want a more constant temperature like in an incubator, I really like the Helix Controls proportional thermostats. I've been using mine for over 20 years with no problems at all. Because it is proportional - as the temperature varies from your set point the power turns on in a variable way from 1% to 100%. Most thermostats if set at 85f will click on 100% when the temp at the probe reaches 82-84F then stays on at 100% until the probe reads 86-87f. The Helix will gradually increase power as the temperature falls to 84.8 to 5%, at 84.6 maybe its at 25% etc. This way there are no spikes in temps once the enclosure has stabilized at the desired temp. They also have a night drop trigger that can come with it that you can program in a separate temperature for a night drop. Say - 88F from 6AM to 6PM and 80F for 6PM to 6AM. My incubator always stays with one degree of the set point. A lot of the zoos use this model in their enclosures. It is more pricy though in the $100 - $150 range.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If you're just controlling heat in the enclosure, the one above looks like a good choice. However, It you want a more constant temperature like in an incubator, I really like the Helix Controls proportional thermostats. I've been using mine for over 20 years with no problems at all. Because it is proportional - as the temperature varies from your set point the power turns on in a variable way from 1% to 100%. Most thermostats if set at 85f will click on 100% when the temp at the probe reaches 82-84F then stays on at 100% until the probe reads 86-87f. The Helix will gradually increase power as the temperature falls to 84.8 to 5%, at 84.6 maybe its at 25% etc. This way there are no spikes in temps once the enclosure has stabilized at the desired temp. They also have a night drop trigger that can come with it that you can program in a separate temperature for a night drop. Say - 88F from 6AM to 6PM and 80F for 6PM to 6AM. My incubator always stays with one degree of the set point. A lot of the zoos use this model in their enclosures. It is more pricy though in the $100 - $150 range.

That sounds like a great tool when you need things precise! Wow :cool:

Daveypryme

Indiana

I like the sound of this one. It is a little more pricy then the others, but I really like that it also has a night time drop setting.