radiator heater on thermostat?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i was just wondering if i could put a heater on a thermostat, see a lot of people use a bigger plug in heater on either outdoors or big indoor enclosure and have been thinking of something similar

sorry if it's in the wrong place mods

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use a small 700 watt ceramic heater . On a thermostat wired into a receptacle . Works great for me .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a 1500 watt oil filled radiator and it plugs into a thermostat that plugs into the outlet. I can set different temps for different times of the day if I wanted. Works great.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I use a 1500 watt oil filled radiator and it plugs into a thermostat that plugs into the outlet. I can set different temps for different times of the day if I wanted. Works great.

thanks you just answered my question i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the heater being on a thermostat

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I use a small 700 watt ceramic heater . On a thermostat wired into a receptacle . Works great for me .

a 700w CHE? wow i didn't know they came that big. i have a 100w 150w and 2 60w's but it takes 100w 150w and a 60w just to get it to 80 which i don't like i'd rather set it a couple degrees above 80 like 83 just so it doesn't drop below 80 at all and it's hard to control night temps

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
a 700w CHE? wow i didn't know they came that big. i have a 100w 150w and 2 60w's but it takes 100w 150w and a 60w just to get it to 80 which i don't like i'd rather set it a couple degrees above 80 like 83 just so it doesn't drop below 80 at all and it's hard to control night temps
No no a heater like the ones women use in office buildings . They put them by their desk . You know the small little space heaters for like 10 .00 $ at Wal-Mart . I had a oil filled heater but it took up to much room .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I also use the oil filled radiator on a thermostat. In fact, the thermostat you got from me HAS been used with it, too ;)

Hey, even our house a/c and heaters are on thermostats ;)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
No no a heater like the ones women use in office buildings . They put them by their desk . You know the small little space heaters for like 10 .00 $ at Wal-Mart . I had a oil filled heater but it took up to much room .

i'd never seen one like that until i googled it lol thanks now im going to check them out

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I also use the oil filled radiator on a thermostat. In fact, the thermostat you got from me HAS been used with it, too ;)

Hey, even our house a/c and heaters are on thermostats ;)

that's the thermostat i'm using it's great love digital display verses my old zilla turn dial kind

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You just need to make sure your thermostat is rated to handle more than the wattage you are running through it. Then when it is in operation, make sure the wires aren't getting warm after a few hours of use.

I have been using 600 watt oil filled radiant heaters on 1000 watt thermostats for many years and it has never been an issue.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
You just need to make sure your thermostat is rated to handle more than the wattage you are running through it. Then when it is in operation, make sure the wires aren't getting warm after a few hours of use.

I have been using 600 watt oil filled radiant heaters on 1000 watt thermostats for many years and it has never been an issue.

thanks a 1000w thermostat is indeed what i have i have 2 a zilla and a digital hydrofarm i think its called