Thermostat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Hey all, quick question.Some of you may have seen the enclosure I will be using on another post.The height is 24".I was considering getting the BAH-1000DC thermostat.The only problem is it suggest having the probe no further than 12" away from heat source. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to accomplish this.I guess I could put like a string from the top down past the heat source 12".Any ideas? When I raised bearded dragons all I used was a rheostat.However,this is for my son,and I want to do it right so he will learn good practices. I have read that some people have made their own thermostats.Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Scott:tort:

ubecrew610

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Perkasie, Pa
scottishscott said:
Hey all, quick question.Some of you may have seen the enclosure I will be using on another post.The height is 24".I was considering getting the BAH-1000DC thermostat.The only problem is it suggest having the probe no further than 12" away from heat source. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to accomplish this.I guess I could put like a string from the top down past the heat source 12".Any ideas? When I raised bearded dragons all I used was a rheostat.However,this is for my son,and I want to do it right so he will learn good practices. I have read that some people have made their own thermostats.Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Scott:tort:

I run a Ranco tstat. It is an on-off design but u can program the range of temp. My ambient temp is set for 79-82. And I run it under the soil and put the probe about 1 inch above the soil..they are about 50 dollars and are easy to wire up your self. I think for 75 you can order them pre wired.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ranco-etc-111000-pre-wired

EKLC

5 Year Member
That's a good thermostat. Now the 12" rule really means, if your probe is away from the influence of the heat source, the heat source could be "on" indefinitely trying to warm up an area too far away. But you have a closed enclosure, so you probably won't have that problem because there won't be a huge temperature gradient through the tank.

Obviously, you don't want to keep an area below the heat emitter at 110 degrees, while attempting to heat a remote corner of the tank to 80. What if the tort is under the hot spot?

Why can't you keep it within 12" of a heat source, btw?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my closed chambers I put the probe as far from the heat source as I can. I don't want the area near the CHE to be 80, I want the ambient of the whole enclosure, even the deepest darkest corners, to be 80.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
EKLC said:
That's a good thermostat. Now the 12" rule really means, if your probe is away from the influence of the heat source, the heat source could be "on" indefinitely trying to warm up an area too far away. But you have a closed enclosure, so you probably won't have that problem because there won't be a huge temperature gradient through the tank.

Obviously, you don't want to keep an area below the heat emitter at 110 degrees, while attempting to heat a remote corner of the tank to 80. What if the tort is under the hot spot?

I guess I could.I could put it 12" to the side,that should work.

Tom said:
In my closed chambers I put the probe as far from the heat source as I can. I don't want the area near the CHE to be 80, I want the ambient of the whole enclosure, even the deepest darkest corners, to be 80.

Thanks Tom,I should be ok then.

scottishscott said:
EKLC said:

I guess I could.I could put it 12" to the side,that should work.

Tom said:

Thanks Tom,I should be ok then.

Tom,something like this----http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-bulbs-night-heat-bulbs-ceramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-50-watt-basking-bulb/

EKLC

5 Year Member
I would not put it 12" away. I'm just saying if your enclosure is built such that the heat dissipates fairly quickly (i.e. an open container), you'll never heat the remote areas to the desired temperature. That's why they list the 12" rule. With your nice closed container, you will be able to maintain 80 throughout the enclosure and will want to put the probe in the cold spot as Tom said.

Also, don't put an actual bulb on the thermostat, put the light-less ceramic heat emitter
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...amic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-100-watt-ceramic-heater/

the heat bulb should be on 12 hours a day, and off for 12 hours at night. You don't want it popping on at night to warm up the enclosure. The CHE on the thermostat will just make sure the ambient temperatures are where they should be 24/7

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
lynnedit said:
I do know this: I love this thermostat. Reasonably priced and very accurate.

Which one? There are a few mentioned in this thread. I'm in the process of trying to decide on one too and they all seem to have mixed reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.