Thermostat probe?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Where is the best place to set probe? I have it at ground level directly under the panel. Is this a good place? Any recommendations

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I always place mine at tortoise level at the cool side of the enclosure. Since I want to maintain a min cool side temp of 80f for my type tortoise - that will ensure my coolest location is not below 80f.

I also mount an indoor/ outdoor thermometer/ hygrometer at tortoise level on the warm section to give that reading and then hang the remote (outdoor) probe from that thermometer so it hangs just above substrate from the basking light. The dangling probe stays pretty much under the basking light but just brushes aside when the tortoise hits it

I then use a wireless remote thermometer/hygrometer that I place the main unit on top of the enclosure. I tape the wireless remote sensor to the inside top of the humid hide

Now you have all settings available at once:
Cool side temp
Warm side temp and humidity
Basking temp
Humid hide temp and humidity
Room temp and humidity

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I always place mine at tortoise level at the cool side of the enclosure. Since I want to maintain a min cool side temp of 80f for my type tortoise - that will ensure my coolest location is not below 80f.

I also mount an indoor/ outdoor thermometer/ hygrometer at tortoise level on the warm section to give that reading and then hang the remote (outdoor) probe from that thermometer so it hangs just above substrate from the basking light. The dangling probe stays pretty much under the basking light but just brushes aside when the tortoise hits it

I then use a wireless remote thermometer/hygrometer that I place the main unit on top of the enclosure. I tape the wireless remote sensor to the inside top of the humid hide

Now you have all settings available at once:
Cool side temp
Warm side temp and humidity
Basking temp
Humid hide temp and humidity
Room temp and humidity

I had the probe on the far cool end set at 71* the temp reading under the panel was 88*.. I believe to warm for my Russians .. This is for my outdoor hide... Nights here still hitting mid 30*.. The panel takes up a little more than half the hide...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Apologize! I thought you were talking about an indoor enclosure. A night hide is different and, yes, Russians would be different. I do however like my probe on the cool end as I want to control the min temp the tort will get. I play with the rheostat setting on the heat to get the high temp in a good range and then there is a gradient the tort can get away from the higher temps if he wants, yet I know the low temp is never TOO low.