The transition to outdoor living - sulcata

Kymberlyn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ohio - Zone 6b
I've read other messages but haven't found what I'm looking for. Pardon me if this is redundant.

My sulcata, Zippy, is 14 months old. We live in southern Ohio. I have taken him/her outside every day since hatching providing the temperature is over 70F. Short outings at first and eventually building up to 6-8 hours. I allow him to graze during the day and I put down fresh "salad" when I bring him into the house. He doesn't eat much of it though. His pen is completed and I would like to leave him outside day and night. Day temps are 80-90F degrees. Nights are in the 70s. (It's predator proof but no heater yet.)

I need to know, are the nights are warm enough?
Also, should I cut back on the feeding since they spend the day grazing? (The outdoor space includes clover, dandelions, grass and some other assorted weeds and was overseeded with timothy. I planted a 4x6 foot area of the pen with a tortoise mix but I have no idea what that consists of.)
The water gets hot during the day. I am changing the water to bring the water temp down to 80-85F a few times a day. Is he smart enough not to get into it if it's too hot?

Naturally, I intend to bring him back into the house when cold weather moves in. He has a 8 foot x 6 foot indoor pen. In Ohio he will never be an outdoor only pet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've read other messages but haven't found what I'm looking for. Pardon me if this is redundant.

My sulcata, Zippy, is 14 months old. We live in southern Ohio. I have taken him/her outside every day since hatching providing the temperature is over 70F. Short outings at first and eventually building up to 6-8 hours. I allow him to graze during the day and I put down fresh "salad" when I bring him into the house. He doesn't eat much of it though. His pen is completed and I would like to leave him outside day and night. Day temps are 80-90F degrees. Nights are in the 70s. (It's predator proof but no heater yet.)

I need to know, are the nights are warm enough?
Also, should I cut back on the feeding since they spend the day grazing? (The outdoor space includes clover, dandelions, grass and some other assorted weeds and was overseeded with timothy. I planted a 4x6 foot area of the pen with a tortoise mix but I have no idea what that consists of.)
The water gets hot during the day. I am changing the water to bring the water temp down to 80-85F a few times a day. Is he smart enough not to get into it if it's too hot?

Naturally, I intend to bring him back into the house when cold weather moves in. He has a 8 foot x 6 foot indoor pen. In Ohio he will never be an outdoor only pet.
They need a heated night box. This gives them shelter, comfort, the correct temps, and protection from predators and rodents. After a week or two, they will usually go back to the night box every night on their own.

If the tortoise has unlimited grazing on grasses and weeds, there is no need to "feed" the tortoise.

Your waters need to be in shade. You can easily build a shade cover if there isn't something convenient already there. I like to have at least two waters per enclosure. Yes, they will not enter it if its too hot, but this also means they aren't drinking.

Here is a night box example: