The things that our tortoises try to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Does your tortoise ever try to munch on something a little odd?

I went out to check on Carl, and caught him trying to chow down on a piece of cypres mulch. He accidentily got a mouth full of dirt and made the most awful faces as he tried to wipe it out of his mouth. Once that ordeal was over, he went back to his mulch :p

I've always heard that sulcatas really like toes.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
futureleopardtortoise said:
I've always heard that sulcatas really like toes.

So do CDTs! As a kid, I had to remember to wear closed-toed shoes walking through our backyard. :rolleyes:

My RT tried to eat a bright yellow transformer toy once. Couldn't break through the skin of that "fruit."

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Haha, I think bright colors in general must attract them, I like to wear a lot of neon and he's also always picking at my shoelaces and watches and things.

I'm glad my current tortoise will never get large enough to take off a toe :)

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
mine tried to eat a red plastic lighter that was sitting on the grass... "no thats not a strawberry!"

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sometimes it drives me crazy, I have searched every inch of my yard. But apparently not cause my sulcata finds everything to get into. I caught her trying to eat the rope from a ladder my husband had out back. They are so mischievous.. but I love her so much..

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I was on here a while back praising flo for her intelligence on avoiding the less nutritious things in my garden. When I turned round she was trying to take a lump out of a house brick.....

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Any sort of pellets (Zoomed/Mazuri) seem to look awful similar to some of Toby's substrate, so he sometimes takes a chunk out of the substrate instead. He makes a rather disgruntled face after and spits it out, then kind of..chews a bit as if he has a bad taste in his mouth? Haha. He also then rubs the sides of his head with his arms.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Tinkerbell has tried to eat the hose pipe and his pink food dish he's also tried to take a chunk out of his thermometer

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I must have really boring tortoises, because try as I might, I just can't think of anything. :(

EKLC

5 Year Member
Sometimes when I hold a piece of cactus down for my tort he climbs my hand and bites me

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
EKLC said:
Sometimes when I hold a piece of cactus down for my tort he climbs my hand and bites me

Hahahahaha!

Mine just nudges everything thus far. Haven't seen her try to belly up to anything but she did devour sphagnum moss when it was first put into her enclosure. So much so I was worried! That was last month so I think we're alright! (I've also removed it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.