The only "day" like this in my entire life is today.

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Many of us have switched jobs or careers, we are all used to those conversations with the boss. Most times they are civil and mature, sometimes the old boss needs to be enlightened, but usually not.

Today I get to leave the "workforce". No "leaving for greener pastures" or moving to a competitor(the biggest fear owners have for my job)....just jeff walking out to his truck and going home.

What a fantastic and beautiful picture......

Or "I no longer accept money to do other peoples bidding"

the cool thing about this, is that I really did earn it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I once resigned from a teaching job I had been in for 25 years because without any discussion my job was changed and I had to teach KS3 and KS4 subjects that I wasn't qualified for. I had to teach myself the subjects before I could teach the kids and produce the resources - it was so stressful and time consuming that after almost 3 years of putting up with it I just had enough. It was very surreal walking away without a new job to go but within a year I found another teaching job which I loved and stayed with until I retired.
Good luck to you Jeff. There's a lot to be said for being back in control of your life - work to live not live to work!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've been planning my retirement for the last few years, and I still have 13 years to go! Not necessarily planning financially, but for how to spend all my free time. I recently got into model shipbuilding. Seems promising. :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Way to go, Jeff!!! I got medically retired in 2005. At first it was fun to have all day to do what I wanted...however, I didn't know what that really was...I started taking road trips to see the PacificNorthWest...Mt. St Helens. Seattle...I went up in the "Needle".That lasted a few years...then I started improving my property planting trees n stuff, then I got into gardening...and the 4 sides of my house bloom...but back then at first retirement was bad. I had lost my identity. I was the rare female truck driver...I wore a jacket w/the name of whatever company I worked for...anyway Jeff...you are in for a roller coaster ride at first ...I have roses nowDSCN1562.JPG...

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As you know, I retired for about 5 years. Then went back to work.
I can say that now. That I don't "need" to work and it's just extra money. The experience is totally different.
The security of having that full pension (I'm too young for Social security) makes the work experience almost totally stress free. And I was never happy retired.
Just having the option to work...or not work....is liberating.
I hope that your retirement itself isn't stressful.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thank you all so much....you guys are pretty cool!

Well, it all went pretty well this morning considering one of the 2 owners was on vac and Brandon and Erik nearly had to pick their jaws up off the floor....other than that, it went rather well and I left at 10AM.

The guys took it in stride, it's just our culture in that world. I think they were surprised that today I told them that today was my last.....but they understood too. Kerry and I have been waiting for this for a long time and there was no one to train and Brandon isn't buried so why wait? I'm going back in a couple of week to pick up 15 more sheets of plywood for my shelving in the garage. Obviously we parted ways on great terms. I of course suggested a nice wedding present from them.

It's funny, I only told 1 guy outside the company this morning. a Fan rep who began in the business at the same time I did in '80....I got an autoreply...he already retired...Greg BEAT ME! He wrote back on his personal email though...to tease and congratulate me.

Brandon must be telling folks because a string of emails is coming in........it's a pretty neat thing to leave behind....folks whose lives you helped them to improve. I just got a text....Robert was a 25 yr old kid when he came into my office a few years ago scared to death. He was just starting on his own as a Pipe & Duct Insulator and it was just him and his wife....today, they are a 12 man operation;

"Jeff, this is Robert with Freedom Mech Ins. I just heard from Brandon that today is your last day. I want to thank you for talking with me 4 years ago and taking a chance on the new kid on the block that came from Michigan.
I pray God blesses you in whatever your future has in store!
Thank You Sir"

To me, it's always been about teaching others to be better than I am b/c it made my guys much stronger and more talented. I never feared anyone "taking my job". I look around DC at the guys running other firms or working as Chief estimators for competitors who used to work for me 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. "My guys" really are the cream of the DC market.....that's pretty neat too!

My painter is coming this afternoon to give me an estimate for the exterior and I have a Chiro appt tomorrow so I'll stay here tonight. I have a list of stuff to gather that I need at the other house.

The 6 month goal is to move over there, sell this house, pay ours off with some of the proceeds and convince her to retire at the end of this school year. It's the "move over there" part that will take the most work. Ever go to a motorcycle shop? Yeah, my 2 car garage and 600f of the basement looks just like that! Bikes tools parts, then 25 different hobbies and all their "stuff"...but unlike Tim, I don't have the patience for models anymore!

As far as staying active, I'm not too worried....I have faith that Kerry and you guys will surely let me know if it looks like I'm slacking! LOL

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Way to go, Jeff!!! I got medically retired in 2005. At first it was fun to have all day to do what I wanted...however, I didn't know what that really was...I started taking road trips to see the PacificNorthWest...Mt. St Helens. Seattle...I went up in the "Needle".That lasted a few years...then I started improving my property planting trees n stuff, then I got into gardening...and the 4 sides of my house bloom...but back then at first retirement was bad. I had lost my identity. I was the rare female truck driver...I wore a jacket w/the name of whatever company I worked for...anyway Jeff...you are in for a roller coaster ride at first ...I have roses nowView attachment 364792...
My absolute favourite - yellow roses! Isn't it strange that nobody in my life has ever given me those?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad your last day went well and short. How nice for getting all the emails. The one from the kid/guy from Michigan was really special I bet.
I will tell you to get up off your butt if you stop moving! That, slowing too much, is the detriment to fast aging and new health problems. So keep moving!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So glad your last day went well and short. How nice for getting all the emails. The one from the kid/guy from Michigan was really special I bet.
I will tell you to get up off your butt if you stop moving! That, slowing too much, is the detriment to fast aging and new health problems. So keep moving!
Amen.
Stay busy.
I can feel the excitement, too.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Wishing you all the best in your retirement. Soon you will wonder how you ever found time for work! Make plans and have fun.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
My absolute favourite - yellow roses! Isn't it strange that nobody in my life has ever given me those?

Ironic Tammy's;
I gave Kerry a Yellow rose & a card I had written & hidden in my coat before our first date & gave to her when we parted ways. The card spoke of possibilities and hope, if "this thing" were really too good to be true.

We exchange it each Valentines day with the receiver adding a page each year. It's getting thick.

House Painting, we found out that in my area, Painting a 3200sf brick front rambler with 2c garage and addition....gets painted in 2 coats of SW Duration paint, including all sanding, caulking, trim, pressure wash & wipe my new gutters/dnspouts etc.....$6,200 bucks but they can't do it till April. 2 guys, one week.

Got my first "side job" @9 this morning! Daughter needs Plumber Dad & his toolbox!

I'm just wondering when this whole sleep thing can level out for me. I took a deep tub whirlpool & went to bed at 7.

The only part that sticking in my craw is that the other guy wasn't there. I know him over 40 years and owe him better than that so I'll call him while he's on vac today now that the shock has had time to sit as I'm sure his partner told him yesterday. Once I clean that part up, I'll be good.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ironic Tammy's;
I gave Kerry a Yellow rose & a card I had written & hidden in my coat before our first date & gave to her when we parted ways. The card spoke of possibilities and hope, if "this thing" were really too good to be true.

We exchange it each Valentines day with the receiver adding a page each year. It's getting thick.

House Painting, we found out that in my area, Painting a 3200sf brick front rambler with 2c garage and addition....gets painted in 2 coats of SW Duration paint, including all sanding, caulking, trim, pressure wash & wipe my new gutters/dnspouts etc.....$6,200 bucks but they can't do it till April. 2 guys, one week.

Got my first "side job" @9 this morning! Daughter needs Plumber Dad & his toolbox!

I'm just wondering when this whole sleep thing can level out for me. I took a deep tub whirlpool & went to bed at 7.

The only part that sticking in my craw is that the other guy wasn't there. I know him over 40 years and owe him better than that so I'll call him while he's on vac today now that the shock has had time to sit as I'm sure his partner told him yesterday. Once I clean that part up, I'll be good.
What a lovely tradition to have with Kerry 😊 🤗have a wonderful time at your wedding.. since I've not seen a single picture I'm assuming the two of you haven't tied the knot yet 😉hurry up 😜 it's meant to be.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
March 2nd, White Swan Tavern/Inn
Wedding at prob noon, sit-down dinner w/ wedding party then an Open house for all our friends...ya'll welcome too of course...2-6 food, music, bar for the lushes....lol.
This is a party.... come on down Ms Cathie, you'll have fun I guarantee it. This is a celebration of family and friends it's really not very much about just us.
We already paid for all the rooms for two nights for our out of town guests coming.

Remember when you were a kid and played house and how fun it was? Then you grew up and did it for real and found out it wasn't quite so fun? Well, we decided to do it again with the fun part!

I'm recuperating in the whirl pool again today listening to The Four Tops and The Guess Who!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ironic Tammy's;

You'll develop an entire new cycle of what's normal. Sleeping and all.
It'll happen and order will resume.
You're very fortunate to be with someone that you have such a great connection with. As you know, relationships change over time too. But the love lasts through all of it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
March 2nd, White Swan Tavern/Inn
Wedding at prob noon, sit-down dinner w/ wedding party then an Open house for all our friends...ya'll welcome too of course...2-6 food, music, bar for the lushes....lol.
This is a party.... come on down Ms Cathie, you'll have fun I guarantee it. This is a celebration of family and friends it's really not very much about just us.
We already paid for all the rooms for two nights for our out of town guests coming.

Remember when you were a kid and played house and how fun it was? Then you grew up and did it for real and found out it wasn't quite so fun? Well, we decided to do it again with the fun part!

I'm recuperating in the whirl pool again today listening to The Four Tops and The Guess Who!
The only excuse I can come up with for not attending your wedding personally...is... I'm too durn old and decrepid or lazy. I would love to be there though 😉😄 I promise 😁🤗