The New Guy

tortoisenoob42

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hi guys and gals i am new to this hobby or lifestyle. i originally used to keep saltwater and fresh water fish and plants as well. I have always wanted to get a pet tortoise. I think there adorable and fun animals. Id like to start off and say i am no stranger when it comes to difficult tasks. have you ever had to set up a reef tank? Now that is hard and verrrryyyyy expensive. I am very excited to enter this world of pet tortoises and to learn from all of our senior members. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.:tort:

Killerrookie

Hello and welcome to the forums!!!! What kind of tortoise you looking for?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. This is indeed a very friendly and informative forum. There's always someone willing to share their knowledge and vast experience with us to keep our torts happy and well. I had no idea there was so much involved in tortoise keeping but I have learnt so much from the care sheets and individuals and there's plenty more to find out too. I wish you well with your new little one.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
Hi and welcome. This is indeed a very friendly and informative forum. There's always someone willing to share their knowledge and vast experience with us to keep our torts happy and well. I had no idea there was so much involved in tortoise keeping but I have learnt so much from the care sheets and individuals and there's plenty more to find out too. I wish you well with your new little one.
Thank you very much

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Photos appreciated once you've settled in.
I remember setting up a tropical reef tank with my father when i was a nipper. Very expensive, time consuming and difficult but so worth the end result.
Tortoises are a little cheaper and easier, but still require a bit of outlay in time and money to begin, as you are aware.
We're all still learning and moving away from the old, traditional methods, which are often wrong.
We like to think we have the most complete and up to date information available, but are still progressing.
And yes, it's fun here too, lots of good people and beautiful torts and turtles.
Learn, contribute and enjoy!

ShannonC

South Carolina
Welcome to the forum! You will definitely get tons of great info and advice on here!! And Russians are FANTASTIC!! I have an adult wild-caught male that I brought home from the pet store where my daughter works. At the time she had been there for eight months, and he was there before she was!! The customers often were telling the employees that their tortoise was dead......well, I had had enough of worrying about him, so we brought him home. Boy did he BLOSSOM!!!!! He was very dehydrated, with very dry, leathery skin and was fed only salad mix from the grocery store. We soaked him every day, fed him good-for-him food, and gave him more than 18x18" of space. That was in January, and boy, nobody could EVER say he looks dead now!!! His skin looks great....about three dry layers have peeled off now, and I think we have one more layer to go.....he eats great stuff and LOVES foraging outside while he walks and walks and walks!! I think he is a tad bit spoiled....LOL.....if he could talk, he probably demand that we call him "Sir"!! He has brought us so much joy!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . I would compare raising torts are a lot like raising children . You worry if they are hot , too cold , eating , not eating , if they go potty , if they don't go potty , and they always cost more then we planned ! But happy to have you with us.

ShannonC

South Carolina
.........if he could talk, he probably demand that we call him "Sir"!! QUOTE]

I've come to the conclusion that tortoises don't have owners - they have staff!

I have to agree if he is any indication!! I was so happy when his personality started showing, though. He was so listless and lifeless when we brought him home!! He did NOTHING!! I think that once he got hydrated and got some real nutrients going, that just made all the difference in the world! Now, he is very demanding!! He makes it clear when he is unhappy about not being able to go outside.....and he makes it REALLY clear when he doesn't like what I put in his food dish!!! I wouldn't have him any other way!! I just love him to pieces!! I can't wait to see what kind of personalities my Leos have as they get older!