The Great Escape

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Having failed in her quest to knock down the sides, Belle is trying the up and over approach to escape. Some emergency modifications are much needed I think. I don't know what's got into her of late. Shes turned so grumpy and aggressive :(ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427711048.743589.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427711060.393559.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
I guess she has recovered a little from her former life and now that she is feeling better she starts to behave like a healthy tortoise.
I know you are doing your best, but the table is way too small for her, she needs a large outside enclosure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Your sides need to be 3 times the length of that tort as a min. Them things a fantastic escape artists.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I guess she has recovered a little from her former life and now that she is feeling better she starts to behave like a healthy tortoise.
I know you are doing your best, but the table is way too small for her, she needs a large outside enclosure.
The table is huge compared to how it used to be. The photo doesn't do it justice. Just not high enough. If the darn weather would improve I could get her outside but as it is we are forecast snow for easter looks like I am spending easter making her sides a whole lot higher!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Your sides need to be 3 times the length of that tort as a min. Them things a fantastic escape artists.
Thanks tortdad. My assignment for the easter break now is making her sides higher. And while im in the planning stages all that's running through my mind is the great escape theme tune lol

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The table is huge compared to how it used to be. The photo doesn't do it justice. Just not high enough. If the darn weather would improve I could get her outside but as it is we are forecast snow for easter looks like I am spending easter making her sides a whole lot higher!
Isn't it still the 47x25 inches table? I know you have already extended it, but it's still too small. I wouldn't even put a hatchling in that table, let alone a tortoise of Belles size, she is nearly an adult after all.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you put something in those corners so she no longer has a nice right angle to brace against, it'll make it harder for her to get out.
GOOD LUCK!!! :p

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you can't go out any further due to space limitations then add a second story. The ramp will provide good exercise and the area under the ramp make a good hide.

To make the enclosure more escape resistant add triangular blocks to cap the corners. If she see she can't get out by going up the corner she will stop trying to get out in the corners.

Good luck.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Isn't it still the 47x25 inches table? I know you have already extended it, but it's still too small. I wouldn't even put a hatchling in that table, let alone a tortoise of Belles size, she is nearly an adult after all.
No, it's no bigger than my last extension. She has the full hallway at the bottom of my stairs. I have no more room.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
If you can't go out any further due to space limitations then add a second story. The ramp will provide good exercise and the area under the ramp make a good hide.

To make the enclosure more escape resistant add triangular blocks to cap the corners. If she see she can't get out by going up the corner she will stop trying to get out in the corners.

Good luck.
Thanks. Sound like this is going to be the only option. Can't go outwards so will have to go upwards. I was so hoping to get her outside but the weather is just so darn grotty here, always freezing cold and raining. And even when it's dry it's cloudy :(

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne and moozillion, ive put a lip over the inside edges so she can reach up but not over. Also moved some of the soil away from the edges so it's not so deep, therefore she isn't as high up