The Great Escape

John Ramos

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Thought someone may like to see this...

This guy is an escape artist extraordinaire, once got out and we got him back a few days later 5 houses away. Today was another attempt, trying to get out and failed going the wrong way into an old ceramic picture. His little legs were going to town, he didn't know what to do. Yes, I have since removed the jug, could be bad next time.

They're a trip for sure!IMG_0383[1].JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hahaha, too funny. Yes, they sure do know how to do it. I have seen mine climb straight up a tree. He didn't make it far, as a branch kinda stopped him, but he made it a lot farther then I thought he could have.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ahh, the ole stuck in the planter trick....I have on of the younger redfoot here that will entertain itself for long periods of time indoors by jamming itself into the planter and then insisting on trying to get out he little holes....eventually works it out and retreats...lol...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yeah. And that wire is no good for a tortoise enclosure. A russian will use it like a ladder and any other species will hurt themselves trying to push through it or rubbing against it all day. You need visual barriers. Think planks, plywood, or blocks.

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
Ok, Tom, I knew I'd get flack for the fencing...my wife brought it home, did I complain? That's why they call them the War Department. I have since put cinder blocks around the enclosure, so there! Her fencing and my impenetrable cinder blocks.

He did get out yesterday, made a pretty good trip before I found him. He came in at that point while we regrouped on the enclosure. Today he's a little under the weather or pouting, don't know which. They definitely have their own little personalities! The younger one is a little buzz bomb and the older sort of slow and methodical.

John

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
Hahaha, too funny. Yes, they sure do know how to do it. I have seen mine climb straight up a tree. He didn't make it far, as a branch kinda stopped him, but he made it a lot farther then I thought he could have.
I hope you got a pic of the tree climbing episode. That would be a crack up! Might be a lesson to other folks too!