The End Of Pyramiding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Mary Anne, No we didn't get any temps, but it was much cooler than the surface which was around 85. Teri was working on that, but minimal progress so far.

KBaker, I don't know why the pics do that. I thought it was only on my screen that way. Those pics are cropped way down and tinypic.com is supposed to auto size them when you upload. I don't know how to make them smaller.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Do they no longer post with the 'click for full size view' under the pic anymore? My monitor is 22" and it doesn't show that anymore.. hasn't for at least maybe a month now? And when I clic on View and ZOOM OUT you can barely read the "Preview Post" below - and the text still runs off the screen..... is it mine only guys?

MODS or someone who knows.. please respond?

Is this one big? [ it's bigger than my screen ] It's 2048 wide per Photo Shop - 'started' on rabbit pellets "dry" [ relative humid 'ambient' ].. maybe 6 months old.. ( you can see it's an old pic.. taken with first camera ) and the carapace is already starting to 'bunch-up' -

aONE.jpg

TEK

See Tom.. I had them back then before the redfoot hatchlings.....

Can't believe I did this - NEVER NEVER DO THIS EVER, EVER.. EVERYBODY.. STUPID ME - didn't do anything right then [ very little anyway ] -

DSC00102.jpg

The leopards were raised from 4".. WC or hatched in S. FL., not sure which. The redfoot was one of the hatchlings raised up before the "MISTING" regime!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Interesting how the leopard on the left looks quilted, while the one on the right has pointy pyramids.
Anyway folks, I propose a moratorium on CLOACA SHOTS until the giant pic thing is resolved. Please.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I know nothin bout Tinypic, I use photobucket myself, but....

I don't rely on the online editors anyways. Its not too tough to resize em before I upload. I think I got it from kristine's thread on the subject, a nice little free program called:

IRFANVIEW
http://irfanview.com/

I just rightclick the pic I want to resize on my computer, and select "open with irfanview"
Under the "Image" menu is a resize option.
I usually go with either 640 x 480 or 800 x 600, hit "ok"
and then "save as" with a new name. Upload it to photobucket.
Hope this helps :)

If not no matter to me, I like big pics LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom's pictures ARE too big. Half the time they don't open up all the way on my computer. I sometimes have to use the bar across the bottom of the screen to move the picture to the side so I can view it all.

Like Balboa, I re-size my pictures through Irfanview before I save them to my computer. Then when I put them in Photobucket they are already the size I want them to be.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Tom's pictures ARE too big. Half the time they don't open up all the way on my computer. I sometimes have to use the bar across the bottom of the screen to move the picture to the side so I can view it all.

Like Balboa, I re-size my pictures through Irfanview before I save them to my computer. Then when I put them in Photobucket they are already the size I want them to be.

Yvonne any pic I posted "before" was resized to 2222 x whatever.. and it was auto-sized to fit the text format by the then existing software.. with the 'click to view fullsize' below. Some of the "current" software parameters are not "user-friendly"/compatible.

Here's an 800 X pic -

a1aONE.jpg

With this smaller "shrunk" pic it is not possible to view in "hi-res" to see the details the thread is about! That's the issue.. we have no choice because that software was done away with!

Tom's pics were not too big before because they were re-sized by the then-existing software........... but we had the option to view "fullsize". Now we don't.

TEK

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh. Now I see. When we switched servers the auto resize function was left behind.

No problem I just found an easy solution.

TINYPIC users: After you "Choose File" but before you "UPLOAD NOW!", there is a little tab that says "Resize". Mine is set to "Default". Just click on that and select a more appropriate size. I'll be doing that from now on.

Sorry about the GIANT pics everyone. I didn't know how to fix it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Can this forum just have a browse option and out resize, then post? Is it financial? Just curious, I think some struggle and do not post. I tried and just gave up.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
If enough ask we can get an "auto-resizer" so we can accomplish BOTH scenarios.. and won't lose the "hi-res" look to option!

Of course Tom there are a number of ways to "re-size" pics. And before.. none of us had to re-size so there were more that posted -- like 'dabman' said!

I'll start:

HEY JOSH.. WE WANT AN AUTO-RESIZER BACK.. PLEASE!?!?!?

:D Terry K

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
YES, Me too. Auto resize would be great, I think more would participate in sharing pictures. I vote "YES".

Badgemash

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Can this forum just have a browse option and out resize, then post? Is it financial? Just curious, I think some struggle and do not post. I tried and just gave up.

That's a shame, I would love to see a larger version of your profile pic.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
YES! They're resized (on my comp at least!)

Tom- your Sulcatas are looking amazing! I love watching them grow.

Badgemash

5 Year Member

All of the wild ones I saw were completely smooth. That amounts to a whopping six individuals. However, I saw dozens that were living outside in large, natural areas that were more or less "wild" and ALL of them were totally smooth too. They were so smooth, and of differing sizes and ages, that I didn't even know what species it was at first. All of the wild caught captives that produced our Gpp babies are totally smooth too. Here's a couple of pics. They were brought in as large adults 21 years ago, so who knows how old they are, but they are very weathered.

[/quote]

You're right, they are much smoother than the pics I've seen. So those are the actual parents? So big!

-Devon

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
My baby is definitely pyramiding...I threw my humidifier away because after too many years, it became too difficult to clean. I am looking into getting another one--and wonder if cold or warm air is better? The first was warm and it corroded really badly, but that's what you get when you mix heat and water!

I take Charli out every morning and give him a nice warm bath. He usually goes to the bathroom and has nice, solid poops (sorry) most of the time. Much bigger than 6 months ago. I had been so afraid of him not eating last time i was on the forum that I've been feeding him 4-5 pellets of mazuri daily and then greens (kale, chard, mixed greens, etc.). While he's in the bath, I take his garage out and spray the whole area. I was wetting it with a glass of water, really getting it wet before, but a reptile-owning friend told me that was a bad idea for bacterial growth. I spray him and his area a few times a day, but he's certainly pyramiding. Is that too much mazuri? I only feed him once a day...and he loved the mazuri--sometimes neglecting the salad greens (though he does eat them...but they dry out).

I can't cover his enclosure because the UV lamp sits on top of a screen that's on top of the enclosure. Not the best set up, but there's nothing to hang the lamp from in my room. I'll be moving in July and hope to build him a good tortoise shelf, but for now, this is what I'm left with. I have a blue moon light on him in the same fixture as the uv lamp (Sorry--been a while--it's the UV that emulates sunlight--is that uva or uvb? I have the box at home, sorry) so I can't cover it at night, either, tho I guess I could always move a different lamp and then cover the area after spraying to retain SOME humidity.

I haven't been great about calcium, either, but I do put it in his mazuri when I think of it. As well as a multi-vitamin. I will do that more if you think that helps him from pyramiding.

He seems to be growing exponentially now. He seems happy and I take him out and let him run around sometimes, though he's still a bit scared of us, but still lets us pet his head a little.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Tom said:
Not saying right or wrong on the over feeding thing. You two might be right. Here are a couple of points to ponder: Point #1: When I got my first sulcata in the early 90's I fed it light. It grew slow and it pyramided. I figured that I must have fed it too much, so I fed the next one lighter. It grew slower and still pyramided. This went on for a while and when I finally got Bert and Scooter in '98, I really went overboard with the "feed them light and grow them slow" stuff, out of frustration over repeated failure. (Kind of the same way I went overboard with Daisy and the moisture, humidity and hydration thing, but look where that took us all.) The result of that is tiny 12 year old 43 pound adult males. So understand why I'm leery of "under-feeding" or "growing them slower". Once bitten, twice shy.

Point #2: This super hydration and humidity thing has produced healthy accelerated growth in my other species as well. Remember my tiny little hatchling black throated monitors lizards from back in January? I just fed them normally, like I do all my monitor lizards, and they hit 4' in six months. This is un-heard of! Kristina knows what I'm talking about. They were in my warm humid reptile room, with a thick humid substrate, a humid hide and regular soaks. They simply thrived! They outgrew their 100 gallon tank in three months. Now at 11 months old they are already breeding.

These sulcatas are the first torts that I have ever raised from hatchlings with the wet routine. I don't feed them any more than any other tort, but they are growing really fast, just like my monitors did. They only get Mazuri once or twice a week in small amounts mixed in with their other greens. And they really aren't very "greedy" anyway. My leopards are more into the food than they are lately. As they've grown all of the past "rough spots" have sort of faded away and now we are seeing some new "rough spots" around the growth ring areas. I'm guessing that these will fade too. I suppose I'm just being paranoid. I see that evil pyramiding monster around every blind corner and hiding under every rock. He has haunted me for so long, I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I actually killed him.

Time will answer many of these questions for us. I knew this would be a long road and much would be learned and discussed along the way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LaNino said:
isn't there any update photo?

My apologies to the original poster for this little foray into off topic:

Hi LaNino:

Welcome to the forum!! Please take a moment to go to the "introduction" part of the forum and tell us a bit about yourself. May we know your name and where you are?