The Bug Question...again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I did the search for these little bugs I saw in my babies enclosure today. I found out they are most likely Springtails or "Snowfleas". I didn't see anyone mention that they had seen small white "larva" looking things in their torts water...I have. So I just want to make sure they are the same thing. I also saw one thread that said they were beneficial because they eat the mold. Most other threads were different ways to get rid of them. If they are in fact good for the habitate and overall health of my babies I will leave them alone. I do want to just double/triple check though! Thanks guys!!!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I had an open small bowl with olive oil in it for lubricating my rodent running wheels sitting near my tortoise pen. I found that after a few days it was filling with dead gnats that had been buzzing around Rosie's pen. Just a cheap and chemical free way to attract and drown some of the gnats. Not sure if what you're finding are the same bugs I have or not since I can't really get a good look at them!

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Nebraska
I have the same bugs in Lily's enclosure and trying to figure out how to safely get rid on them. She it getting her own room and we should be ready for her to move into her room in about 5 weeks. I really don't want an entire room full of bugs, I use cypress mulch ad have a corner with coir and timothy hay for her to burrow in. It seems like the bug stay out of the coir more then the cypress. Hope to get some more answers on the thread as this seems to be quite the battle with the darn things.

nhaislip

5 Year Member
Crystal2807 said:
I have the same bugs in Lily's enclosure and trying to figure out how to safely get rid on them. She it getting her own room and we should be ready for her to move into her room in about 5 weeks. I really don't want an entire room full of bugs, I use cypress mulch ad have a corner with coir and timothy hay for her to burrow in. It seems like the bug stay out of the coir more then the cypress. Hope to get some more answers on the thread as this seems to be quite the battle with the darn things.

Yes, they are most likely springtails. They usually congregate around moisture and they actually float on the water because they are so tiny. These bugs are actually cultured by many amphibian people. They are completely harmless and help to break down any food waste or feces. I love having them in any and all of my enclosures.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
nhaislip said:
Yes, they are most likely springtails. They usually congregate around moisture and they actually float on the water because they are so tiny. These bugs are actually cultured by many amphibian people. They are completely harmless and help to break down any food waste or feces. I love having them in any and all of my enclosures.

Awesome! Thanks! I will keep them around then!

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Are you sure they aren't wood mites? They are tiny and white.
I get those all the time with the Cypress mulch. I notice as they accumulate more they start to bug (no pun intended :p) my Sheldon. As they accumulate they crawl on top of him and up the enclosure. They become a mess and while harmless they become bothersome. I put my bag of Cypress mulch, just the entire bag I don't take the mulch out. I put the bag inside of a garbage bag and wrap it up in the bag. I place it in the freezer for two days, and they're gone.

nhaislip

5 Year Member
DaisyDuke said:
I get those all the time with the Cypress mulch. I notice as they accumulate more they start to bug (no pun intended :p) my Sheldon. As they accumulate they crawl on top of him and up the enclosure. They become a mess and while harmless they become bothersome. I put my bag of Cypress mulch, just the entire bag I don't take the mulch out. I put the bag inside of a garbage bag and wrap it up in the bag. I place it in the freezer for two days, and they're gone.

Depends on whether they are elongated or are circular. If they look round in shape, these aren't springtails and would be mites. But if they are elongated and look like little cylinders, then they are springtails and are great to have in any enclosure.

Photos would still help to correctly identify.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
nhaislip said:
DaisyDuke said:

Depends on whether they are elongated or are circular. If they look round in shape, these aren't springtails and would be mites. But if they are elongated and look like little cylinders, then they are springtails and are great to have in any enclosure.

Photos would still help to correctly identify.

What I had were springtails which I was informed were a type of mite. When I posted here nobody said they were good, they all just said they were harmless. I think my tortoise does fine without these bothersome bugs getting in other areas of my house. They were bugging him too.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
They are super tiny so I doubt I can get a pic of them. I only have a handful of cypress mulch in there...most of it is coconut fiber.

I like the idea of freezing the mulch! Can that be done with the coconut fiber bricks also? That would be a lot easier than trying to bake it.

When I boil the substrate I currently have in my enclosures do I just pour boiling water over it?

DaisyDuke said:

I have some that are tiny and white...I assumed they were the babies...the others are all brown or black.

Status
Not open for further replies.