The BIG move

rebeccalynn1208

The past week my tortoises went through something very awful but unavoidable...a 20 hour move to North Carolina. I was terrified. I babied them even though they were in small uncomfortable boxes I feared the worst. Today....we're in our new home!!! And to make it even better I found out there's an organic farmers market just minutes from my home in the summer! That means new fresh fruits and veggies for them all to try and new bases too. The weather is warmer, our yard (their outdoor enclosure) is bigger, the food is fresher....everything about this move is perfect for my torts

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Glad the move went OK and your area is tort-friendly! Where in NC did you move to? I'm thinking about moving down to the Carolinas in the next year or two, partly for warmer weather for my tortoise! The thought of the actual move has me terrified for my tort, exactly like you were :)

rebeccalynn1208

Glad the move went OK and your area is tort-friendly! Where in NC did you move to? I'm thinking about moving down to the Carolinas in the next year or two, partly for warmer weather for my tortoise! The thought of the actual move has me terrified for my tort, exactly like you were :)
I moved from Illinois to Mount Holly, NC. I have 3 torts and 3 turtles. They did FANTASTIC I'm so proud of them! Right now it's winter and its 50-60 so I'll be able to get them outside early spring for sure which is so much better than Illinois! I didn't have much of a choice (I'm 17 I had to move with my parents) but I'm glad it happened!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think torts/tufts handle moves much better then humans. Specially if the human prepared for them properly sounds like you did. Just don't forget, as well as they did, there still may be some adjustment periods where they will act out of sorts for a bit, doing panic.
Your weather will only be a little warmer then our winter, here in Illinoi/Chicago, his year anyway. ElNino doing good by us so far.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hope you and the torts soon settle into your new home, sounds ideal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think torts/tufts handle moves much better then humans. Specially if the human prepared for them properly sounds like you did. Just don't forget, as well as they did, there still may be some adjustment periods where they will act out of sorts for a bit, doing panic.
Your weather will only be a little warmer then our winter, here in Illinoi/Chicago, his year anyway. ElNino doing good by us so far.
El Nino keeping us warmer than normal too:) but bringing all this horrible rain too!:(

rebeccalynn1208

Yea it took a while for them to start eating normally. I got really scared!! Our weather on Christmas is supposed to be 75 degrees! I'm shocked. But I'll definitely give them time to adjust :)