Tested the "rain chamber" effect.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
I used a Black Mt.Tortoise about a year old with the typical raised growth rings around the outside of the Carapace scutes. Before I wet the area under heat outside, I pulled out a one year old M.e.p for the test. It was very dried out as he was right on the hot spot. I put him in a med. size tupper ware container with news paper balled up to hide in and water about a half inch. A top was placed on the container in a 80F room. After one day it was examined.The most startling thing was the weight gain. I was not thinking about this at the time but the before and after weight was very noticeable. The carapace of the shell did expand slightly changing the appearance. I talked to one of my Veterinarians about it. He is a young Vet. (not a newbe) and keeps and breeds reptiles himself and has helped me brake away from old beliefs that superstitious old herpers have. He makes me "look through new windows. Something very good has come from this rain chamber. Although I think it has little to do with making a smooth shell, it is a very good way to hydrate a growing young tortoise that might need meds. for something. Interesting is the fact that it might solve a long standing debate over if soaking tortoises absorb water through their cloaca . We always use the weight gain as proof. Now we know that weight is in the shell. One other thing, all this water in the shell or trapped under it, Could it be like a Camel and store it...........Manouria cameli . See all the cool things that happen when your curious.

DSCF0109.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

poco

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Great info , thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this is only for younger tortoise or this is also the case for adult.

Btw, how do you soak those bigger tortoise ? and how often ?
They are always trying to climb out as soon as I put them into the tub.
They do have a shallow pool where they can drink or soak by themselves, but I don't really think they use it that often.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Great info , thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this is only for younger tortoise or this is also the case for adult.

Btw, how do you soak those bigger tortoise ? and how often ?
They are always trying to climb out as soon as I put them into the tub.
They do have a shallow pool where they can drink or soak by themselves, but I don't really think they use it that often.
One thing I know is they do not like cold water. In Winter i let the level get low and full of leaves. It warms up faster and the leaves rot and make heat=warmer water. If they can hear the water hit the pool they are more likely to get in. Yep they will get out when you want them in and get in when you dont want them to. A lot of Rain makes them want to soak or when real hot. Sometimes you just have to deal with them and put them back in over and over. If you dont rile them up to much you can pick them up and put them in warm water and they will drink right away. You can put food in the water too. VicDSCF0442.JPG View attachment 121413 View attachment 121413 View attachment 121413

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine sit in the water all the time, even during the cold weather.

Vic: I'm so happy to see you post this. And so very glad that an experienced tortoise-keeper such as yourself is willing to try new things and continue learning.

poco

Indonesia
I wish mine will sit in the water ...

I tried the food in the water trick, used to throw taro leaves into the pool.
Occasionally they will stay inside after finishing the food, but most of the time they will just walk away.

Will try if warm water makes any difference.

Thx for the tips.