Learning from near tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I left my emys emys hatchling (Burmese Brown Mountain) with someone while out of town for a week. At that time Ponce was 8 weeks old and weighed 52 grams.
One week later, at 9 weeks old, because he had not been soaked or misted properly and was also eating less, his weight had dropped to 44 grams. After soaking and eating (he drank and drank) his weight went within one hour from 44 grams to 52 grams! 12 hours later, after morning feeding, his weight was up to 54 grams.
Although one would never do this as an experiment on purpose, I find it striking that the undigested food and water consumed by a hatchling represents some 25% of his body weight.
Does this sound right to others?
Comments appreciated!
Ron

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
algoroth1 said:
I left my emys emys hatchling (Burmese Brown Mountain) with someone while out of town for a week. At that time Ponce was 8 weeks old and weighed 52 grams.
One week later, at 9 weeks old, because he had not been soaked or misted properly and was also eating less, his weight had dropped to 44 grams. After soaking and eating (he drank and drank) his weight went within one hour from 44 grams to 52 grams! 12 hours later, after morning feeding, his weight was up to 54 grams.
Although one would never do this as an experiment on purpose, I find it striking that the undigested food and water consumed by a hatchling represents some 25% of his body weight.
Does this sound right to others?
Comments appreciated!
Ron

Yes! :) I can weigh mine one day and he's 89g but it can drop to 75g! I've noticed that the Average is increasing though since I bought my RF in July 2012 :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, this sounds accurate. I've had little tortoise drop 10-12 grams after a poop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you said that Tom. Boy, can my little guy poop. The weight drop scared me, but then i figured with as much as he eats, I knew I really didn't have to worry. But WOW

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
My adult redfoot weighed less than 5 pounds when I got her. She was severely dehydrated and underfed. After 5 days of good food and water, she weighed more than 10 pounds. Almost unbelievable, really.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Unbelievable that the food/water can be even MORE than 25%! Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.