Temps to stop letting outdoors!?

Rhea

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Ok so I’m new to being a tort owner and we love our out door time. It’s great exercise and it’s great to explore and eat weeds but I’m questioning at what temps to I stop that. I know freezing cold is a no. But is 65 to 70 ok!? I live in St. Louis Missouri and our weather is so cray-cray it’s impossible to predict. It’s sunny now and a cool 75-70 and I’m wondering when it’s too cold to walk the yard? I love to provide real sunlight for her and the exercise. But when is it too cold too allow outdoors? I believe 50 will be too cold so I’m basically asking if 55 and above is ok if sun is out. I’m not hibernating her this year because she’s so young( and even if she a girl is questionable). But I just want to know when to stop outdoor play! We walked the yard today, she didn’t eat outside because it was too cool and I brought her indoors and she dug herself in for the night! Side note- she did eat indoors her food earlier today! For some reason her mazuri is great tasting right now! She eats it up plus her greens!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd use 60-65 as the cut off as long as its dry, sunny and not too breezy. If its cooler than that, and you don't want to hibernate, there isn't much point in putting her outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I live in the UK. If we waited for temperatures to get above 65F we would never get our tortoises outside!

Below 55F you won’t see much activity, but if the sun is out full the ground temperature is way above the air temperature for the day in a nice sheltered spot. Test it with a temperature gun... I have!

You might find this helpful that I wrote about adaptations you can make for tortoises in a climate cooler than California where Tom lives :)
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/