Temps. Argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I'm trying to get my temps in my RF's enclosure UP, per Terry's suggestions. I have most of the enclosure covered, aside from where I have two heat emitters - one each on opposite corners. One is 100 watt, one is 60 watt. That's just what the nearest store had in stock, and it's a mighty blustery day so I couldn't drive too far looking for more.

Anyways, with those on all day now, the one side is between 80-82, and the other side is 78-80.

I could always turn off one of them and put the basking light back in there, but since Terry says they don't really care for the light, I wasn't really going to do that. (I have the lights in the room turned on but nothing shining into the enclosure.) But I feel like SOMETHING in there should be warmer.

Any suggestions?!?!?!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay I think I've come up with something... tell me how this sounds...

I took out the 100 watt and put the basking light in that, then put the hide under that (with some moist sphagnum moss), so she can go in the hide and be nice and toasty. I'll put some most moss on the other side, too, just so she can go over there if she wants.

Then at nighttime, I'll take out the basking light and put the 100 watt heat emitter in there.

Yah, I think that's the ticket....

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Are they inside? Are you trying to hibernate them? How much warmer do you need it to be?

You could try raising the ambient air temp of the room they are in...we went and got an oil type free standing electric programmable heater a few years ago from Home Depot...It heats up and the oil within ertains the heat so it is cheaper than cranking up the whole house or even getting a space heater.

http://www.nextag.com/electric-oil-heater/search-html

Ours looks like the first one...the other idea I had was to wrap their enclosures with a huge blanket or piece of fleece...I do this with dough in the winter otherwise it won't rise...

Also, the obvious, make sure they are not in front of windows...even good windows are 'cold' this time of year.

Good luck!!! Perhaps you could put a photo of Hawaii in their enclosure for some psychological warmth:cool:

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
ROFL I like the Hawaiian photo idea!

I just got this new redfoot and supposed to be an ambient temp in low 80's, with a hide that has warmer temps, like upper 80's (if I'm understanding correctly). So just trying to figure this out.

The enclosure is inside, and is on my first floor dining room/living room/computer area... it's all an open floor plan so really really really hard to raise the temps in that area right now, with the windows leaking in cold (I'm in Wisconsin!) The enclosure is away from all windows. But still proving to be a challenge to keep it warm enought.

i've just stuck the hide under the basking light to make it warm warm warm, and so she can go in out of the light. She went RIGHT inside. the other end is a bit darker and cooler... so hopefully she'll like this. She hasn't eaten yet today, or yesterday, but ate the day before (her first day here), so hoping I can get her settled in and eating again.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I think I'm having a long conversation with myself here! ROFL!

Anyways.... since I posted she's not eating... she started eating!!!!!!!! I guess she's the exception to the rule, as she didn't move all day and then I turned on that basking light, she hid for five minutes, now she's out and about! I gave her a light misting as she ate!

Yay!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
She will settle in fine:D
We did place an old bath towel under our Greeks enclosure and the surface temp of the floor went up 5*F according to our temp gun. We have hardwood floors, not sure if you do...but the towel is a great cheap insulator....we are in MN so I hear ya on the cold-it's everywhere!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
I'm trying to get my temps in my RF's enclosure UP, per Terry's suggestions. I have most of the enclosure covered, aside from where I have two heat emitters - one each on opposite corners. One is 100 watt, one is 60 watt. That's just what the nearest store had in stock, and it's a mighty blustery day so I couldn't drive too far looking for more.

Anyways, with those on all day now, the one side is between 80-82, and the other side is 78-80.

I could always turn off one of them and put the basking light back in there, but since Terry says they don't really care for the light, I wasn't really going to do that. (I have the lights in the room turned on but nothing shining into the enclosure.) But I feel like SOMETHING in there should be warmer.

Any suggestions?!?!?!

Lemme take a look at his enclosure Kelly.. if you would please?

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay here is a really bad photo, because I didn't feel like taking the time to pull everything off the top to get a clear picture! LOL! Keep in mind this is temporary for the next few weeks. After Christmas is all put away, I'll be building her a larger enclosure (this one is about 2 x 3 feet), so I could DEFINATELY take suggestions on what to improve for her next one, although I still think heating will be difficult because it will be in the same location, only bigger. Anyways I want to get the heating right in this in the meantime so she's comfy for the next few weeks.

102_4014.jpg

Okay on the left side is the hide log, with the opening empty (you can't see that in the pic), and the corner on the backside piled with sphagnum moss. Right now the basking lamp is over this log/empty corner. I was thinking I'd put the 100 watt heat emitter there during the night.

She has a little log to crawl over (which she went back and forth over about twenty times last night), then in the middle is slate rock were I put her food, and a shallow water dish that she tiptoes through. The far corner (right corner) has one corner piled with sphagnum moss again, with the 60 watt heat emitter, and the other corner is wet sand... I didn't plan that for her, but I originally had this enclosure set up for a Russian, whom I never did put in there, so I just kept hte sand there. She likes to walk around in it, actually. Well the hour that she was out last night she did.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Okay here is a really bad photo, because I didn't feel like taking the time to pull everything off the top to get a clear picture! LOL! Keep in mind this is temporary for the next few weeks. After Christmas is all put away, I'll be building her a larger enclosure (this one is about 2 x 3 feet), so I could DEFINATELY take suggestions on what to improve for her next one, although I still think heating will be difficult because it will be in the same location, only bigger. Anyways I want to get the heating right in this in the meantime so she's comfy for the next few weeks.

102_4014.jpg

Okay on the left side is the hide log, with the opening empty (you can't see that in the pic), and the corner on the backside piled with sphagnum moss. Right now the basking lamp is over this log/empty corner. I was thinking I'd put the 100 watt heat emitter there during the night.

She has a little log to crawl over (which she went back and forth over about twenty times last night), then in the middle is slate rock were I put her food, and a shallow water dish that she tiptoes through. The far corner (right corner) has one corner piled with sphagnum moss again, with the 60 watt heat emitter, and the other corner is wet sand... I didn't plan that for her, but I originally had this enclosure set up for a Russian, whom I never did put in there, so I just kept hte sand there. She likes to walk around in it, actually. Well the hour that she was out last night she did.

What is the actual enclosure Kelly?

How far from the hide is the heat emitter? It needs to be down there where it can heat the hide.. have you seen this?
http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
it's the bookshelf part of a bed! LOL! I have it lined with some lining stuff from the hardware store... the basking lamp///heat emitter over the hide is 10.5 inches away.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
it's the bookshelf part of a bed! LOL! I have it lined with some lining stuff from the hardware store... the basking lamp///heat emitter over the hide is 10.5 inches away.

That's what I thought.. you're heating the air :rolleyes:

Get that down there where it will warm his hide! 4" away(?) { If you think your redfoot will climb on the hide.. build a small wooden one that he can't climb on. } You can drop the emitter down and do that easily since you have wood you can work with.. you can configure 'brackets' real easy. Take a look at that link.

REMEMBER.. we're talking about rain-forest.. Amazon jungle.. close to the equator tortoises - NOT - cold tolerant Mediterranean [ I had to look that one up in the dictionary..
36_12_6.gif
] tortoises.. sooooo you don't have to worry about 87 degrees.

Lemme know..

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
okay lowered it. so it's not going to start my sphagnum moss and hide on fire, right?! LOL! i can be a little paranoid!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
okay lowered it. so it's not going to start my sphagnum moss and hide on fire, right?! LOL! i can be a little paranoid!

How hot does it have to be to ignite damp moss and a log?
36_20_1.gif

What is the temp in his hide now?

16_5_42.gif

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
ROFL! You're so patient! My assumption is that under heat, the damp moss dries out! How fast?/? I dunno, this is new to me! LOL!

Temps look to be about 88 in that spot now!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
ROFL! You're so patient! My assumption is that under heat, the damp moss dries out! How fast?/? I dunno, this is new to me! LOL!

Temps look to be about 88 in that spot now!

HALLELUJAH!
GRIN.gif

Kelly the moss you want to keep DAMP.. [ just past dry ] not wet. Fluff it while he's eating and then mist with hot water until damp [ if needed ]. Now monitor the temps and adjust height as needed.. above 90+.

Watch his activity level!
36_10_1.gif

Incubating redfoot tortoise eggs ranges from 110 - 150 DAZE.. you learn to be patient.

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The temps stayed nice, but I'll be darned if everything isn't drying out so quickly! I have it covered as much as I can, but the top layer of substrate needed to be misted several times, as well as the top layers of sphagnum moss. Is this normal, or okay???

She didn't come out at all today, she stayed in her hide. I did pull her out a about 7 and showed her the food. She ate a piece of strawberry, pooped, then ran into her log, and that's been it for today.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
The temps stayed nice, but I'll be darned if everything isn't drying out so quickly! I have it covered as much as I can, but the top layer of substrate needed to be misted several times, as well as the top layers of sphagnum moss. Is this normal, or okay???

She didn't come out at all today, she stayed in her hide. I did pull her out a about 7 and showed her the food. She ate a piece of strawberry, pooped, then ran into her log, and that's been it for today.

That's normal and will be what you'll have to do until you get the new enclosure built with the full lid. That will retain the temps and humidity so much better then. And you'll want to get the dimmer switch for the emitter as well which will make it easier to maintain the temps.

Mist the 'top' layer of moss then toss it to even out the moisture content.. like you would a salad. You're learning.

Sounds like your guy is enjoying his warm hide a lot. Good to hear.

It will be much better after you get the new enclosure put together Kelly..

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.