Temps for Home's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehbetty

5 Year Member
Aziza is settled in really well now, and I'm taking her to the vet soon, but I still need some help. I work really hard to keep her temps constant at 80ish on the cool side and 85ish on the hot side. The temps do fluctuate a little when the temps outside change, but I can generally adjust it quickly to put it back where it needs to be.
Or so I thought. Everything I've read and heard states that those temps are appropriate, but I've noticed some interesting behavioral changes that I need help interpreting, since I don't really know how to read tortoise emotions yet. Aziza is pretty social in the sense that she likes to come out of her hide and mess around a lot, and when I prepare her food she'll come out and watch me do it. However, when the temps on the hot side rise to the low 90s, she stays in her hide (hot side). When the temps are lower, she gets out and moves around. Is she moving around because she's uncomfortable and wants it to be warmer? Is she getting in her hide because she likes the temp in there and wants to sit still and be warm?
I would just go ahead and raise the temps to see if she then moves over to the cool side more often, but I'm afraid of cooking her brain or something. I dunno. What should I do?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
The temperature range in their natural habitat ranges from 62.6 to 91.4 F but the prefered temp is 68 to 71.6 F according to field studies. The high temps are when they are foraging in the afternoon in forest gaps. I find this holds true for mine also.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Mine have consistently been happiest at 71-75 degrees. When I turn on a hotspot of 80ish for them, they gravitate away from it.

tehbetty

5 Year Member
Oh dear. Okay, I'll turn down her temps and see how she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.