Temps for a 3 yr old

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Do you have pictures of your enclosure?

Night temps should be 80 and cool side should be 80-85 minimum.

Terry51563

And yes I know it isn't big enough for him. This is a temp cage till we get his built

Attachments

• 20170403_191645.jpg
    20170403_191645.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 26

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
That's perfectly fine for temporary housing until his new one is built. If I were you I'd throw a strip uvb bulb over him and get a ceramic heat emitter for nights to keep his enclosure warm. It looks like there's a thermostat in the corner on his hide?

If you can cover the top with a screen and foil or a canopy cover it will help hold the heat and humidity in tremendously.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
And yes I know it isn't big enough for him. This is a temp cage till we get his built
I watched your thread on this build, and it looks great. I know you have doors that close, so I can't imagine you will have problem getting temps to 80f. In fact, I'd be concerned it will get too hot with the lights from the enclosure below. Keep in mind temperatures will cool quickly when you open the doors. What are you getting now when checking temperatures?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I apologize, I didn't realize there was more that I wasn't seeing. Thanks Mark!

Terry51563

The day time temps are the top run is around 85ish and bottom is 79ish. The night time temps drop around 80 top and 69 bottom. So need to raise temps at night. I think day temps are fine right?

Terry51563

I just wasn't sure that the 3 yr old should have the same temps as my baby one.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The day time temps are the top run is around 85ish and bottom is 79ish. The night time temps drop around 80 top and 69 bottom. So need to raise temps at night. I think day temps are fine right?
I think you are going to be battling top vs bottom temps with that enclosure. Your top temps sound good, but if you raise bottom temps, you might get too hot in top enclosure.

As long as I am keeping them indoors, I use the same temps no matter what age. Along with the humidity I can better provide indoors.

Terry51563

OK Thanks. We have opened up the back but thinking about closing up the bottom one and leaving the top one open and see if that will work.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
OK Thanks. We have opened up the back but thinking about closing up the bottom one and leaving the top one open and see if that will work.
Your going to have problems with humidity then, with it open. Your sulcata already looks a bit too dry and would benefit form higher humidity.